Customer Service 866.965.0400

When I mess up with clay bar...

Sam Y

Question

Seems every once in a while the clay bar gets 'caught' and I leave a hazy finish on the clear coat/clear bra. I know it's just clay but it just doesn't go away. It is especially noticeable on my black car.

I just did the hood and split it up into 12 parts. Used plenty of Adam's detail spray and used very little pressure. I made two mistakes and one was removed fine with another pass but the other seems like it's there to stay. I'm at a loss here, do I polish it off?

4 answers to this question

I have had a similar situation when there is an exceptionally sticky area on the panel, such as tree sap or a melted piece of candy.  Normally find those areas ahead of time by going over the vehicle with a microfiber towel before I start claying it.  The sticky stuff with grab the towel and I know to take action on the spot before I start claying.

If there any contaminant on the clay bar or mitt or on the vehicle, it can cause plenty of challenges that need to addressed before you start claying.

I think the key is pressure. I have been using heavy pressure like a newbie thinking that it'll get stuff off. I really should be thinking "passes" and running light pressure with multiple passes. Having plenty of lubricant is also a must.

Anyway, the answer is in plenty of other forums. If you can't remove it from a wash (or in my case my fingernail), then you need to repolish. Claying can cause marring if done wrong. Lesson learned.

15 hours ago, Sam Y said:

I think the key is pressure. I have been using heavy pressure like a newbie thinking that it'll get stuff off. I really should be thinking "passes" and running light pressure with multiple passes. Having plenty of lubricant is also a must.

Anyway, the answer is in plenty of other forums. If you can't remove it from a wash (or in my case my fingernail), then you need to repolish. Claying can cause marring if done wrong. Lesson learned.

On some cars you can mar the paint even if you do everything correctly.  I worked on several black Nissan/Infinity vehicles that marred with a hard look.