Customer Service 866.965.0400

A man, a drill, cutting compound, and "oh no"

Nordic

Question

I did it. I managed to impart a nice trail of swirl marks nicely stacked horizontally across the paint of my black chevy avalanche. To say I'm embarrassed and freaking out would be an understatement. I didn't realize what damage I was doing until the next day and into the sunlight. The only part of my truck I don't have to fix somehow is the driver side as I did it all by hand. I love this truck and worked very hard to afford it in cash. They didn't make very many 2500 version Avalanches and this one only has 95K miles on it.

I cant catch a swirl mark with my fingernail, so hoping this can be fixed. I have no idea where to start. I'll post pictures later tonight as I didn't drive the truck to work today. 

I plan to pick up the Porter Cable DA polisher but not sure what Adams products to use from start to finish and what pads. So many options and i don't want to make things worse. I read the swirl remover may not be powerful enough. I started clay barring the truck lastnight and went over that panel with Meguiars Ultimate Compound after by hand to see if the swirls would diminish. It's a bit better but needs more work.

Appreciate any insight on this rookie move. 

Edited by Nordic
polish type

7 answers to this question

Swirl marks can usually be polished out.  DA/Orbital polisher is the way to go. Adam's has everything you need at https://adamspolishes.com/collections/polishing-paint-correction-detailing, along with tutorial videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/Adamspolishes/videos, including one appropriate for your circumstance...

Thank you for the replies. I was able to go on YouTube and find Ammo NYC. He actually explained the process. Use a compound first like Meguiars M105 followed up by a polishing compound like M205. This is the information I was looking for and hoping to read in my post.

Are the Adams products (compound and polish) better than Meguiars? And if so, what wax should I follow up with after the polish step? I will be buying the Porter Cable for compound and polish.

27 minutes ago, Nordic said:

Thank you for the replies. I was able to go on YouTube and find Ammo NYC. He actually explained the process. Use a compound first like Meguiars M105 followed up by a polishing compound like M205. This is the information I was looking for and hoping to read in my post.

Are the Adams products (compound and polish) better than Meguiars? And if so, what wax should I follow up with after the polish step? I will be buying the Porter Cable for compound and polish.

Larry at Ammo has some very good information on his site.  The Adam's products are different from the Meguair's polishes, and should be easier to work with.  The M#05 products are older 'technology', but many like them.  The Adam's polishes should dust less, correct just as fast, and be easier for someone new machine polishing to use.

1 hour ago, mc2hill said:

Larry at Ammo has some very good information on his site.  The Adam's products are different from the Meguair's polishes, and should be easier to work with.  The M#05 products are older 'technology', but many like them.  The Adam's polishes should dust less, correct just as fast, and be easier for someone new machine polishing to use.

Ok great! Thank you for the reply. So Adams compound and which polish then wax would you recommend? I was quoted 4-500 by a detail shop here locally which is more than fair. But would love to own the tools myself so I can properly do my other cars. 

Edited by Nordic
wax

Hi Sven, and welcome to the forum! I've always been a fan of Avalanches and almost bought one, but ended up with a Trailblazer SS instead :)

Do you have any pictures of the severity of the swirl marks? After washing and claying the vehicle, you would start with a small test area (about 18"x18") using our blue Adam's Compound with a Microfiber Cutting Pad or Blue Foam Pad, and then step down to our white Adam's Polish with a White Foam Pad. Once the swirl marks are out, then I would recommend our Ceramic Spray Coating for a very easy to apply protection product, with more durability and longevity than a wax. 

If you haven't already purchased the Porter Cable - it's a fine and dependable machine - I would recommend spending a little bit more on something like our Swirl Killer 15MM Polisher, especially if you plan on doing a few cars like you mentioned. The Swirl Killer has a long-throw random orbit pattern, which corrects better and faster while still being very safe on the paint. It will have less vibration and be easier on your hands, fingers, and forearms. The Porter Cable is a very solid machine that we used to sell, but there have been significant technology improvements over the last 10 years or so to make paint correction and polishing a less strenuous process. Depending on the backing plate diameter on the Porter Cable, you may need our 5.5" pads (5" backing plate) or 6.5" pads (6" backing plate). The Swirl Killer 15MM Polisher is on sale right now plus an extra 15% off, and it would use our 5.5" pads.

If you're looking for a complete compounding and polishing kit, I would recommend our Swirl Killer 15MM Two Step Kit. Keep in mind this kit is strictly compounding and polishing, so I would recommend our Fine Grade Clay Bar & Detail Spray Kit prior to machine polishing, and then the Ceramic Spray Coating Basic Kit for protection after.

Here are a few videos detailing all of the things I mentioned above:

Clay Bar and Machine Polishing:

Ceramic Spray Coating How-To:

Let us know if you have any other questions!

First of all welcome. Have no fear, Adams is here ! Do your self a favor and stay away from Megs. stuff, 105/205 outdated. Get a bottle of Adams Blue and White compunds, 4 Adams single soft towels,4 Adams polishing pads, and relax. Start slow and take your time. Shouldn't take you to long to correct your issue, just be careful, but have fun. Your porter cable will not burn through clearcoat but still be gentle. That machine will take longer but should work for you. Post some before pics. Here are a couple pics done with a porter cable machine, so here is what can be accomplished. Good luck.  

post-10998-0-28178200-1397526052.jpg

post-10998-0-89280800-1397526064.jpg