Customer Service 866.965.0400

Shake Graphene Coating?

Junior

Question

Adams Team,

I just received a 60 ml bottle of the Graphene Coating. I noticed what seemed to be some solidified Graphene at the bottom of the bottle. It’s a black seemingly solidified portion of the chemical. I’m curious if that’s indeed what I’m seeing and if it’s essential to shake the coating prior to application. Maybe it’s the UV component I’m seeing?

12 answers to this question

Thanks Rich and Chris. I feel silly even asking the question, but I’ve never used the Graphene coating and I didn’t see shaking it called out in the instructions. So really just wanting to make sure and also know it’s a normal thing to see the dark particles in the bottom versus a uniform look. Thanks again fellas!

Chris and Rich already got this one, but yes absolutely shake it up very thoroughly before opening to mix it uniformly. This goes for all 3 of our graphene products - Graphene Ceramic Coating, Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating, and Graphene Detail Spray.

I will see if we can have this added to the instructions.

Hey guys, probably another silly question, but as I prepare to coat the hood on my vehicle, I think I’d like to check my process with you all. First off, the car has Expel Ultimate PPF installed. It was done back in Feb. and the car is garage kept.

Because the PPF has no defects, my intent is to strip wash the hood and clay it then do coating prep prior to applying the Graphene Ceramic Coating. However, I have seen some posts or reviews recently stating the surface needs to be machine polished for the coating to work properly. Being the PPF doesn’t have swirls etc, I’m a little hesitant to break out the polisher. Can you guys set me straight on this? If I need to polish it I can, but just figured it wouldn’t be necessary. I guess I’m looking at polishing from the aspect of doing it to get the surface aesthetically pleasing, which it already is. But maybe the minuscule leveling effect makes the coating bond better? If so, I guess I’ll just do a one step with finishing polish and white pads. Please educate me guys! Thanks 🙏 

2 hours ago, Junior said:

Hey guys, probably another silly question, but as I prepare to coat the hood on my vehicle, I think I’d like to check my process with you all. First off, the car has Expel Ultimate PPF installed. It was done back in Feb. and the car is garage kept.

Because the PPF has no defects, my intent is to strip wash the hood and clay it then do coating prep prior to applying the Graphene Ceramic Coating. However, I have seen some posts or reviews recently stating the surface needs to be machine polished for the coating to work properly. Being the PPF doesn’t have swirls etc, I’m a little hesitant to break out the polisher. Can you guys set me straight on this? If I need to polish it I can, but just figured it wouldn’t be necessary. I guess I’m looking at polishing from the aspect of doing it to get the surface aesthetically pleasing, which it already is. But maybe the minuscule leveling effect makes the coating bond better? If so, I guess I’ll just do a one step with finishing polish and white pads. Please educate me guys! Thanks 🙏 

Be very careful polishing PPF, it can degrade the adhesive since it builds up heat. If you do, do one light, quick pass and Polish is perfect. If it's in good shape, I say skip it, just do the other prep your outlined above. Polishing before coating isn't "required", even on paint, but it generally helps give the best results.

7 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Be very careful polishing PPF, it can degrade the adhesive since it builds up heat. If you do, do one light, quick pass and Polish is perfect. If it's in good shape, I say skip it, just do the other prep your outlined above. Polishing before coating isn't "required", even on paint, but it generally helps give the best results.

Thanks Chris!!!

My opinion, do NOT machine polish PPF, it's far too risky if you have never attempted it before. In addition to degrading the adhesive like Chris mentioned, you can cause an almost permanent hazy finish on some PPF that is then very difficult to fix - delicate and repeated massaging with Brilliant Glaze...ask @BRZN and I how we know from a car at Carlisle a few years back! 

If it were me, I would simply wash the PPF, maybe use Fine Grade Clay and Waterless Wash with very light to no pressure only in spots that have stubborn bug guts, then Surface Prep and finally coat.

Yup, PPF on a guys Porsche hood. It was a Spring or Fall Carlisle and he was a car flipper. He was unaware the hood had PPF on it and one of my guys went after the hood with a machine. We realized what was going on quickly, but some marring was done. The paint was silver, so it didn't show very well, had it been a darker car we'd have been in trouble!