Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Detail Spray... I want to love it but....

Brewder

Question

Ok this is going to be a tad long, and might sound crazy.  Please stick with me.

I only will mention a competitor because of my specific experience that I need help with.  I WAS a long time Zaino user…  They had two “detailer” products one called Z6 and another called Z8 Grand Finale spray.  Z8 is applied exactly like the Adam’s detailer products.  Light mist, wipe off. It was to be used infrequently and wasn’t considered a daily detailer.  Z8 would leave streaky “dark” spots on my car that drove me insane.  The daily detailer, Z6, did not do that and would wipe off perfectly.

Fast forward to my Adams conversion back when we used to be able to sit on actual bars stools (remember those times, back in 2019?)… Anyway, before ceramic coating my car, I used the Adams pink Detail Spray.  I absolutely love that stuff!  After graphene coating my car, I instinctively switched to the Graphene Detail spray (assuming it would be like the pink stuff) and now once again I’m noticing streaky “dark” spots.  Ugh.  I doesn’t matter if I spray the lightest mist… do it in the sun, the shade, the heat, the cool..   Of course, I bought a 16oz container and a full gallon refill of this stuff I haven’t yet opened.

For whatever reason, certain products seem to be streaky to cars I own.  So I have two questions:

1.       Am I the only one that notices this kind of streakiness?

2.       Is it OK to ditch the Graphene Detail Spray and go back to using the pink Detail Spray several times per week over a Graphene Ceramic Coated car?

\\Brew

6 answers to this question

Hi Troy,

I have had this happen a couple of times on my Dark Red vehicles, but have not noticed it on the light colored ones.  I have found that I reduce the chances by using two separate towels.   Using the hood as example, I'll use the Graphene Detail Spray with a light spray on the entire hood. Wipe it down with the towel, flip the towel and wipe it down again and then taking a clean separate towel go over it one more time. 

I'll admit that I am not so sure that it is really the clean dry towel as much as it is going over each panel three times to make sure I didn't miss a spot.  I use the same technique with CS3, Slick and Slide, Spray Wax and a few other products and rarely, if ever do I get streaking or high spots.     Of note, Ceramic Boost is a different animal to deal with, but the same technique with a bottle of water to mist high spots or streaks helps there.

Ray summed it up great there! With most of our sprays that offer more substantial protection than our pink Detail Spray, you do need to wipe them in more thoroughly. I do also recommend two towels especially when working on darker colored surfaces - with the first towel to spread and absorb 75% or so of the product, and the second dry towel to remove the remaining product. Less is more with our products too, so 2 full-pull trigger mists will cover half of a hood for me. Make sure to shake up the Graphene Detail Spray before use as well - if things have settled in the bottle, that may cause some of the streaking too.

If the streaking still persists, you could try the damp towel method, mist it onto the surface, take a slightly damp towel with water (not dripping wet) to do the initial wipe, and then take a second dry towel wipe away the rest. I've used Graphene Detail Spray on several vehicles now - metallic black, gloss black, cement gray, pearl white, metallic blue, and silver, and I haven't had any streaking problems yet with three different bottles - I ended up giving away two bottles for friends vehicles that I coated. Which type of towels are you using with it? I've used it with our Borderless Gray Towels and Single Soft Towels with excellent results.

I would recommend using the Graphene Detail Spray in the shade if possible, when the vehicle is cool to the touch. You can use it in the sun, but you will need to work in smaller areas and wipe it off quickly.

I would not recommend using our normal pink Detail Spray several times a week though as another option as you mentioned. Once a week or so would be ok, but it can build up over time. It will not harm the coating, but could cause the coating to not perform as well in terms of hydrophobics and repelling water. If you're looking for a product to wipe the vehicle down several times per week for light dust removal and so on, I would recommend our Waterless Wash. It's a straight cleaner without any protection, so it won't build up. Then you could use the Graphene Detail Spray every few weeks or so for maintenance of the coating.

Thanks everyone for all the comments.  I definitely use a two towel method and typically use about 4 towels (single soft) every time I quick details.  Having said that, maybe I allow the towels to get too damp, but I notice the streaking even on the very first panel (hood).

Anyway, I guess I'll keep tuning my process.

I’m having the same issue with this spray I want it to work but I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I first used it after I washed my car and dried and that didn’t turn out good so I applied when wet and used as a drying agent and that creates lots of streaking. Am I using too much product? Is my towel bad ? Yes the towel that I use is a small towel that is a somewhat old but I use the same towels with other products like meguirs detailing spray and the shine is like no other . Please help 

8 hours ago, Bobby1 said:

I’m having the same issue with this spray I want it to work but I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I first used it after I washed my car and dried and that didn’t turn out good so I applied when wet and used as a drying agent and that creates lots of streaking. Am I using too much product? Is my towel bad ? Yes the towel that I use is a small towel that is a somewhat old but I use the same towels with other products like meguirs detailing spray and the shine is like no other . Please help 

While awesome, silica-infused sprays can be a little finicky. Streaks can be caused by one of or a combo of a few factors. For example, using too much product - a little goes a long way. A couple of things you can do are to have two towels, one to apply and the other to buff off any residual product that could streak. Also, use in the shade whenever possible as direct sunlight can cause streaks. It could also be your towels. High quality, plush towels usually work best to absorb the product. But it's also important they're cared for properly because normal detergent and fabric softener can clog the fibers and they won't absorb well. Try changing one or all of those and see if you get better results. Let us know!