Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Mitt

Eric19RX

Question

Hello,

I have a white SUV and it needs to be clayed before I can apply some protection to it.  I've been thinking about trying the clay mitt, but I'm curious to know if it's always necessary to polish a vehicle after it's been clayed? I'm thinking it will show very minor marring, if any at all.  

6 answers to this question

It's not always necessary. As you said, though, it could cause some minor marring, and the mitt can leave some noticable black smudges, especially on white, if you don't use enough Detail Spray. So be sure to use plenty, and I'd recommend leaving the car wet after rinsing to add more lubrication. You can even clay with soap suds, assuming the car is clean.

21 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

It's not always necessary. As you said, though, it could cause some minor marring, and the mitt can leave some noticable black smudges, especially on white, if you don't use enough Detail Spray. So be sure to use plenty, and I'd recommend leaving the car wet after rinsing to add more lubrication. You can even clay with soap suds, assuming the car is clean.

Thank you, falcaineer for the response.  I've seen Joe do that in one of the videos, where he used the clay mitt over top of the suds, after he washed the car.  I don't remember him mentioning the car needing to be polished afterwards.

I use the clay mitt for areas that I'll polish afterwards and things like glass and removing bugs. It does seem to be pretty aggressive on black paint so you really need to get a light and look closely for any light scratching. BTW I also agree with the above recommendation of using good lighting. I use a Fenix flashlight and look very closely at all the panels to decide what needs polishing and at what level.