Customer Service 866.965.0400

Did anyone see Jimbo's Detailing Video recently on youtube?

Mantis

Question

Graphene spray coating from Adam's, 303 and Turtle Wax. The Adam's fell on it's face and it was cured for over 4 hours. I don't know if it should have been cured for 24 hours but it didn't hold up in that test he did. Kinda suprising honestly.

The Turtle wax and 303 did just fine and held up very well. It was basically a Turtle Wax new product video and he was testing it again the other 2. I was pretty disappointed that the Adam's Graphene Spray coating wiped out after just 1 chemical test. Something had to be wrong there as I have seen it in Pan's videos hold up very well.

Thoughts?

3 answers to this question

I personally don't agree with those types of tests. A person that has the sense to use a product like Graphene Spray would not let any type of chemical be applied to the paint. Yeah sure, accidents can happen but it reminds me of the old "light the spray paint on fire and then wipe it with acid" tests from the old TV infomercials. Jimbo's tests are a great way to figure out what to use to strip off the remainder of a coating, sealant, or wax.

I prefer a more real-world test like Scott H (YouTube).

Having said that, I have yet to try ANY type of coating. I still have lots of wax and sealants to use up! 😄

I would take any of his so called torture tests with a grain of salt.  It is such a narrow window in a products true performance.  Mother Nature is the true test.  Also he has a habit of not reading or researching the products.  Remember he is getting a paycheck from youtube just for the views he gets along with the free products he gets.   

I ignore these product “testers.” Why? For starters there is no connection from their “tests” to the real world. When was the last time you drove through a degreaser thunderstorm? When did you last park under a panel wipe tree? 🙄 Michael is correct in that our environment is the one true test site we should be concerned with.

The detailing industry needs what we have in our industry (wholesale optical), an independent third party testing lab that can validate manufacturers claims in a sterile lab environment.
https://www.colts-laboratories.com/testing-services/ophthalmic-lenses-coatings/

These tests are easily duplicated and verifiable. One example is Bayer scratch testing which is used to determine the scratch resistance of an ophthalmic lens. No, some guy in his garage standing in front of his GoPro doesn’t rub on a lens with his shirttail to see if I scratches. Instead they use the same machine, the same abrasive and the same standard procedure to run their test. 
https://www.taberindustries.com/bayer-abrasion-test

In this real world test we compare an uncoated CR-39 plastic lens to a coated plastic lens with whatever plastic lens material and coating they choose. The uncoated CR-39 lens is the standard to compare to. How resistant a product is can now be determined and assigned a value (2x, 3x, 4x more scratch resistant, etc.)

Edited by Captain Slow
Spelling