Customer Service 866.965.0400

Applying Ceramic Coating

TR6speed

Question

I currently use Adams Ceramic UV Spray coating on both cars.  While my car spends most of it time covered in the garage, the wife's Equinox sees more use.  She had a slight accident a a month ago and I just got it out of the body shop last week.  I asked about the time before I could doing any thing as far as paint protection and they recommended 30 days.  I may give it 60 to be on the safe side so my question is,  I am thinking of apply the longer lasting full on ceramic coating instead of the spray seeing the car sees the real world more.  I happen to watch a video where Joe Triegiro said that you can apply the UV Ceramic Coating to the entire car  before removing it.  I have always thought that you do only one panel at a time and simply give it about 2 minutes or until it rainbows then remove it or buff it.  Is the spray different then the actual ceramic coating?

7 answers to this question

One panel at a time when it comes to the Adams paint coating.  You will be asking for trouble of you do the entire car and try to come back and wipe it off.  The flash time is going to vary by location, temp and humidity.  

3 hours ago, The Guz said:

One panel at a time when it comes to the Adams paint coating.  You will be asking for trouble of you do the entire car and try to come back and wipe it off.  The flash time is going to vary by location, temp and humidity.  

Thanks That is what I thought.  I did go back and look at the video and and I think I was taking it when he said he could coat the entire car and then go back with the UV light to see what he may have missed, not meaning to coat the entire car before removing it, but checking after the coating was removed from each panel.

The most I have ever been able to do is two panels and that was during cool temps with high humidity on a small vehicle.  

I was able to apply to one panel, then start the second panel, followed by wiping down the first then the second.  Then it was time for a few minutes break before repeating the process.   It was a smaller vehicle, so the hood was done as two panels instead of the four I usually consider the hood for SUV's and pickups. 

The main thing I found when I tried to do too much at one time was I'd miss spots during the application or end up with high spots because I took too long to remove it.  I've gotten to the point that there is no need to hurry, it just causes you more work in the long run.  

17 hours ago, TR6speed said:

I currently use Adams Ceramic UV Spray coating on both cars.  While my car spends most of it time covered in the garage, the wife's Equinox sees more use.  She had a slight accident a a month ago and I just got it out of the body shop last week.  I asked about the time before I could doing any thing as far as paint protection and they recommended 30 days.  I may give it 60 to be on the safe side so my question is,  I am thinking of apply the longer lasting full on ceramic coating instead of the spray seeing the car sees the real world more.  I happen to watch a video where Joe Triegiro said that you can apply the UV Ceramic Coating to the entire car  before removing it.  I have always thought that you do only one panel at a time and simply give it about 2 minutes or until it rainbows then remove it or buff it.  Is the spray different then the actual ceramic coating?

Do you remember what video it was? Like mentioned one panel at a time and on say the hood you want to do no more than half or even a third at a time.

7 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

Do you remember what video it was? Like mentioned one panel at a time and on say the hood you want to do no more than half or even a third at a time.

It was the one where Joe was showing the application of the Ceramic coating and how the UV light works.  I simply miss understood what he was saying and it was after doing the complete car, application and removal how we can go back with the UV light and see if there are any missed spots, not that he applied the coating to the entire car then checked for missed spots before removing it.

16 hours ago, TR6speed said:

It was the one where Joe was showing the application of the Ceramic coating and how the UV light works.  I simply miss understood what he was saying and it was after doing the complete car, application and removal how we can go back with the UV light and see if there are any missed spots, not that he applied the coating to the entire car then checked for missed spots before removing it.

Gotcha, I always check each panel as I go with the light. It's easier to correct while applying than waiting until finished. At least for me anyway.