Customer Service 866.965.0400

Grey resedue on pad

Saular

Question

Hello I am doing my first paint correction and I was seeing how many passes of polish/compound I should do and I did 3 pass compound and 2 pass polish when I look at my pad there is grey residue on it is this my paint? I was not sticking in one place or pressing har I was useing speed 4-5 while compounding 

the paint looks fine to me it does not look like I burned though the clear what is the reason of this?

this is the products I used 

polisher

griots garage g9

compound

sonax cutmaxx 

Polish

sonax perfect finish

rupes yellow pad

rupes blue pad

here are some pictures of the problem

40A1EBB3-C5B0-4EF5-90B7-2E46C119AD1F.jpeg

3F0DC5C4-B196-4F07-947E-22DE719342E8.jpeg

BABC229A-3D40-47C5-B2DE-F3C59E685C6D.jpeg

5E939274-9E49-4775-A1EB-A4EB8A26FE36.jpeg

CE6E85F2-9186-4FF0-8580-26966003C3CA.jpeg

Edited by Saular
Pictures

11 answers to this question

Hi! Residue on pads is common as you do any paint correction. It could come from contamination left on the paint that may not have been removed while claying, broken down compound/polish, among other things. What prep did you do? It usually just takes a pad brush to clean it out, and use it each time before you apply more polish/compound. If it builds up excessively, swap pads more often. Some people like to use one pad per side of the car, sometimes even more.

Side note: We welcome your membership and encourage you to ask any questions you have. Please note, however, since this is an Adam's forum, forum rules state excessive discussion of competitor's products is not allowed - please keep this in mind as you make any additional posts. Once again, welcome!

6 hours ago, BRZN said:

As @falcaineer mentioned above, it's most likely dirt/contaminants left on the paint before you began polishing, even left over wax or sealant that was still there. What was your prep prior to polishing? Strip wash? Claying?

I did iron remover and clay bar

16 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Hi! Residue on pads is common as you do any paint correction. It could come from contamination left on the paint that may not have been removed while claying, broken down compound/polish, among other things. What prep did you do? It usually just takes a pad brush to clean it out, and use it each time before you apply more polish/compound. If it builds up excessively, swap pads more often. Some people like to use one pad per side of the car, sometimes even more.

Side note: We welcome your membership and encourage you to ask any questions you have. Please note, however, since this is an Adam's forum, forum rules state excessive discussion of competitor's products is not allowed - please keep this in mind as you make any additional posts. Once again, welcome!

Thank you I was worried but I did do a clay bar and iron remover

1 hour ago, The Guz said:

Certain make and models have a tinted clear coat which will transfer onto the pad.  As mentioned pads will get dirty from cleaning up the paint.  

This is a good point, as I said other things could the reason. I think I had it happen with an Infiniti. What kind of car do you have, @Saular?

2 hours ago, Saular said:

Thank you I was worried but I did do a clay bar and iron remover

Gotcha. All it can take sometimes is a small spot or area that you missed while deconing the paint, it happens. Not necessarily something to be concerned about, but if in doubt, clean or swap the pad. Having multiples is always a good idea and will help get you the best results.

Welcome to the Forum and nice progress on the Mustang.    

I have done a Mustang or two and some were rather bad, like the Roush I did last spring.  I went through multiple pads on the car to get everything cleaned up and use a pad brush between each cycle.  For most vehicles, I plan on 4 pads, sometimes it is less and sometimes it is more.  

I have a mix of pads which includes some of the older Adam's pads, some from another vendor and some of the newer Adam's pads.   While I was not a fan of the older Adam's pads which is why I was using another vendor, the new Adams pads are equal to the other vendor and as the older Adams and other vendor pads wear out, I'll be switching to the Adams pads.  The one thing that no other vendor has been able to match is customer service.  The Adams customer service includes listening to their clients which is why the products are always evolving and improving.  

Here is the thread on the Roush: 

This forum is also a great resource of information, use the search it works well and ask questions.  You'll even get the Vette and Canary members to help out us Mustang guys.  If you search for 20+ year old Mustang you can see the second one I owed, my first one was a '71 Mach I