Customer Service 866.965.0400

Water Spots On Ceramic. What’s The Removal Trick?

avvblanc01

Question

I’v been enjoying my Adam’s (pre-graphene) ceramic coated car for a while now, but it was recently mercilessly attacked by a set of sprinklers. I came out in the morning to find heavy water spots and etching on the ceramic. Not what I want on a black car! 

While I don’t mind polishing the ceramic off to start clean, I was hoping someone might have a solution to keep the current ceramic on the car. Will a water spot remover harm the ceramic? My other thought was to do a very light polish with Adam's finishing polish and pad to hopefully remove the spots but not the ceramic. I’d love some suggestions!

Edited by avvblanc01

5 answers to this question

Andrew if I were you I would pretreat the spots in the shade with a mix of rinseless and water or soap and water dilution then do a strip wash with APC. You could try vinegar and water as well If that doesn’t knock the spots out, try claying them. If clay doesn’t get you there then I would try using some polish by hand lightly in one spot to see how it behaves. If all that fails you might need to break out a polisher. It will definitely diminish the coating to a degree, but one pass might get rid of the spots and allow the coating to remain. I don’t have much experience doing that so I might let others chime in.

16 hours ago, Junior said:

Andrew if I were you I would pretreat the spots in the shade with a mix of rinseless and water or soap and water dilution then do a strip wash with APC. You could try vinegar and water as well If that doesn’t knock the spots out, try claying them. If clay doesn’t get you there then I would try using some polish by hand lightly in one spot to see how it behaves. If all that fails you might need to break out a polisher. It will definitely diminish the coating to a degree, but one pass might get rid of the spots and allow the coating to remain. I don’t have much experience doing that so I might let others chime in.

I clayed the car last night with no luck, so I’ll try APC next and leave polishing as a final resort. It’s only the front fender, bumper, and hood so if I have to polish and re-coat it isn’t the end of the world! 

1 hour ago, avvblanc01 said:

I clayed the car last night with no luck, so I’ll try APC next and leave polishing as a final resort. It’s only the front fender, bumper, and hood so if I have to polish and re-coat it isn’t the end of the world! 

I would try Brilliant Glaze or white Polish by hand applicator first before any kind of machine polishing. That should hopefully remove the water spots without fully compromising the coating, depending on how long the coating has been on the vehicle.

Sometimes even just going over the water spots with some Ceramic Spray Coating or Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating if you have either of them might take care of the spots, since there are solvents in the coating - plus you get the added benefit of adding more protection onto the already existing coating 👍

1 hour ago, Dan@Adams said:

I’ll give both those methods a shot! I have the car in the garage and clayed to do a re-up of the Graphene Spray coating anyway so that works. Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, Dan@Adams said:

I would try Brilliant Glaze or white Polish by hand applicator first before any kind of machine polishing. That should hopefully remove the water spots without fully compromising the coating, depending on how long the coating has been on the vehicle.

Sometimes even just going over the water spots with some Ceramic Spray Coating or Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating if you have either of them might take care of the spots, since there are solvents in the coating - plus you get the added benefit of adding more protection onto the already existing coating 👍

Like Dan, I have used Brilliant Glaze to remove water spots more than once from coated vehicles along with glass.  In most cases it does not take a lot of effort to get the water spots out and if you follow up with hand wash and Ceramic Boost or CS3 as a drying aid, it will look as if you never touch it and maybe even a little better.