Customer Service 866.965.0400

Prep question if I use the graphene spray or coating

Chevy_Salon

Question

I have reading up and watching videos about prepping the vehicle before applying the graphene coating or graphene spray. My question here is; do I have to polish my truck using a swirl killer even though my truck is brand new and there are no scratches on it?

If I do use the ceramic products, I would still do the wash and clay step. I`m just wondering if the polishing step is necessary.

8 answers to this question

I would and I do machine polish my new Vehicles.  I have also been fortunate with 2 new vehicles over the last 2 years,  that they were in excellent condition, and I stopped the dealer from cleaning them, before the swirls were installed.  

And definitely if you will be coating them, you want them to be in top notch condition, before locking it in.

After a strip wash,  I use iron remover, before clay.  Then polish, coating prep spray,  and lastly the coating.

Hope this helps

If you have a polisher, you really want your paint to be as perfect as possible and that's the best way to get it prepped before applying any ceramic or graphene product.  If you don't have a polisher, then you'll want to hand polish to remove light swirls and scratches before applying the coatings.  Be sure to wipe your ride down with the prep as the last step BEFORE you apply the ceramic or graphene on.    

Good advice above. I'll put it this way...

When it comes to paint correction and using words like "have to" and "necessary," the real answer is no. <Insert quote about nothing before the word "but" matters> But...  Proper prep will help get the best possible, longest lasting results. Many on here, myself included, will recommend the full suite of prep before applying a coating. Know that when using coatings, regular ceramic or Graphene, you're locking in whatever is there for potentially years to come, depending on version. Paint condition is fairly subjective, obvious damage aside, so if you're ok with the paint, it's your car. At a bare minimum, wash, decon (clay and Iron Remover), and Surface Prep it. Beyond that, only you know what you'll be satisfied with.

We're here to help along the way, so good luck and enjoy!

9 hours ago, Chevy_Salon said:

I do not have a polisher, so all the advice here tells me it`s best not to coat yet. I guess I`ll just use a sealant for now or wax. I`ll get a polisher when I can and then use graphene coating.

Machine polishing is strongly recommended however if your paint is in good shape it can be skipped. What can't be skipped is claying and doing a prep wipe down before applying  our Coatings.

:iagree:

10 hours ago, Chevy_Salon said:

I do not have a polisher, so all the advice here tells me it`s best not to coat yet. I guess I`ll just use a sealant for now or wax. I`ll get a polisher when I can and then use graphene coating.

To clarify, that's not exactly what I tried to say, at least. I think you'll get the overall best results - as I have always said, true shine comes from proper paint correction, the rest is enhancement and protection. But as both @Chris@Adams and I explained above, you don't have to. Instead, after a strip wash, paint decon (iron remover and clay), and Surface Prep, consider the Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating. While you'll sacrifice longevity of the traditional version, you'll still enjoy all of the other benefits. Then later down the line, when a polisher gets added to the mix, you can remove the spray coating, do a full correction, and add whichever layer of protection you want. Hopefully that makes sense?

While I have not yet coated a car, truck or SUV without machine polishing, I have done multiple golf carts and motorcycles by only doing hand polishing.  I find the machines too difficult to get into many of the spaces on the bikes and golf carts, so they would end up 50% by hand anyway.  By taking my time and sometimes going over areas 2 or 3 times, the bikes and golf carts have come out rather well. 

No matter what I am working on or planning to apply to it, the clay, iron remover, polish (hand or machine) and prep wipe down are key to getting the item as prepared as possible.  In fact, I even did an entire Range Rover Evoque by hand and it came out gorgeous and only took me a week to be able to use my arm again.