Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adam's Graphene Ceramic Coating - Time between Coats

DMoc20

Question

18 answers to this question

One layer is sufficient, use the UV light to ensure you get full, even coverage. With coatings, the law of diminishing returns applies, so adding 2+ layers doesn't equate to 2x+ protection. Do proper prep, maintain regularly, and you'll get the best, longest lasting results.

I agree that I only apply one coat for the Graphene Ceramic Coating. For the non-graphene coatings like UV Paint and UV Wheel Coating, if you do want to apply a second coat, our chemist recommends applying 1-2 hours after finishing the first coat. You could try this with the Graphene Ceramic Coating, but the second coat may not bond as well to itself. I plan to try this soon on a few rear panels on my car that are in need of being compounded, polished, and re-coated since it's been 2 or 3 years now and 30-40k miles of driving in every weather condition in that time frame!

2 hours ago, DMoc20 said:

Awesome thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to do the full detail this weekend. Fortunately I'm working from home still so I can keep it garaged and away from teh elements for however long it needs. 

Minimum 4 hours for the Spray version, 24 for traditional/small bottle. Then wait 5-7 days before washing.

And definitely post some pics when you're done!

Well I did the coating yesterday evening. However when I checked on the car this morning I noticed some darker spots that I didn't catch last night. Are darker spots places I missed coating or is missed buffing off? If so is there a way to correct this? It has been about 12-13 hours since I applied it. 

Do they look like oil slicks or smudges? If so, those are called high spots where the coating residue wasn't fully removed, and are pretty easily removed. If caught soon enough, you can first try to reapply some coating to the area to reactivate the coating, and immediately wipe away. Next step, try Brilliant Glaze and wipe away. If those doesn't work, take a plush microfiber towel like a borderless grey, laid flat/not folded, apply several drops of (white) Polish, and use your whole hand to evenly and lightly polish the areas where the high spots are seen. Lastly, you can machine polish with Polish or Compound, clean with Surface Prep, and reapply the coating as before.

A

20 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Do they look like oil slicks or smudges? If so, those are called high spots where the coating residue wasn't fully removed, and are pretty easily removed. If caught soon enough, you can first try to reapply some coating to the area to reactivate the coating, and immediately wipe away. Next step, try Brilliant Glaze and wipe away. If those doesn't work, take a plush microfiber towel like a borderless grey, laid flat/not folded, apply several drops of (white) Polish, and use your whole hand to evenly and lightly polish the areas where the high spots are seen. Lastly, you can machine polish with Polish or Compound, clean with Surface Prep, and reapply the coating as before.

Yeah kind  of like smudgy marks. Thanks for the tips. I'll give them all a shot and see what works out. I'm hoping I wont have to machine polish again but if need be. 

Edited by DMoc20

1 hour ago, DMoc20 said:

A

Yeah kind  of like smudgy marks. Thanks for the tips. I'll give them all a shot and see what works out. I'm hoping I wont have to machine polish again but if need be. 

Polishing should be a last resort, doubt you'll need it this soon after coating but it's an option. Let us know!

10 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Polishing should be a last resort, doubt you'll need it this soon after coating but it's an option. Let us know!

So at lunch today I used the tip you mentioned with a plush microfiber and polish. Went lightly over the high spots and they came right out, almost no effort. So that was much appreciated. Should I surface prep and reapply the coating to those panels? or do you think the polish only leveled it with the rest of the coating? 

46 minutes ago, DMoc20 said:

So at lunch today I used the tip you mentioned with a plush microfiber and polish. Went lightly over the high spots and they came right out, almost no effort. So that was much appreciated. Should I surface prep and reapply the coating to those panels? or do you think the polish only leveled it with the rest of the coating? 

Glad it worked! No need for reapply with the method you used, it simply took off the high spots. Using a machine would be the time to reapply.

8 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Glad it worked! No need for reapply with the method you used, it simply took off the high spots. Using a machine would be the time to reapply.

Awesome!! Thanks so much for all your help. Pictures will be coming today of the finished product. 

On 1/11/2021 at 5:43 PM, Dan@Adams said:

I agree that I only apply one coat for the Graphene Ceramic Coating. For the non-graphene coatings like UV Paint and UV Wheel Coating, if you do want to apply a second coat, our chemist recommends applying 1-2 hours after finishing the first coat. You could try this with the Graphene Ceramic Coating, but the second coat may not bond as well to itself. I plan to try this soon on a few rear panels on my car that are in need of being compounded, polished, and re-coated since it's been 2 or 3 years now and 30-40k miles of driving in every weather condition in that time frame!

So, for a graphene coating, you suggested only 1 coat?  no advantage to put 2 layers?

3 hours ago, Edesro418 said:

So, for a graphene coating, you suggested only 1 coat?  no advantage to put 2 layers?

First welcome to our forums! Post an intro so we can get to know you.

Assuming proper prep and application, one coat is sufficient. The UV tracer and light are used to ensure full, even coverage. With ceramic coatings, the law of diminishing returns applies to layering. In other words, adding 2+ layers doesn't equate to 2x+ the protection. Maintain regularly with something like Graphene Detail Spray and/or other silica-infused products and you'll enjoy long lasting protection.

So about a 1 month update on ceramic coating. Looks great in some lights but I have noticed the more I see it in different angles and varying lights that I will probably have to redo the coating. E.g. I noticed in some direct sunlight and like almost 3/4 view that there are compounding marks that I did not polish out completely, and are now under the ceramic coating. Sadge. 

In this case best way to remove the coating completely and redo it would be machine polisher with compound? or polish? Thanks for all the help. I will say  from other angles where you can't see those marks it looks fantastic lol