Customer Service 866.965.0400

Conversion from wax/sealant to Ceramic

jonaandkell

Question

I have been a long time user of Adams products (first ordered back in 2012 with the DS) and wanted to reach out how to make the conversion from the traditional wax/sealants to ceramic.  From reading around it appears the paint correction is still the same.  I'm still using the old school 3-step system (I still have lots of product and it still works, so why change it).  From this point I think it would be a little different.

Here is roughly my process all done with Adam's Products:

-Wash/Clean

-Clay Bar

-The 3 step polish method, think it was orange to green to white

1) Severe Swirl & Haze Remover (if it was really needed)

2) Swirl & Haze Remover 

3) Fine Polish

-Then I would seal/wax using a few different methods:

1) BG then Buttery Wax  -or-

2) BG then Paint Sealant  -or-

3) just Paint Sealant for a daily

Love the Brilliant Glaze!

What would you do after the paint was corrected? Just use the ceramic and be done? (Still researching exactly which one I want to use and that process)

Does that mean all my BG, PS, BW and DS that I have are no longer any good or can't be used once I apply the ceramic?

Can I still use my other washing products?  Basically is there anything I can't or shouldn't use once a ceramic has been applied. 

Like I figured it would be dumb to apply a wax on top of a ceramic since it wouldn't offer any more protection and wouldn't 'bond' to the paint.

2 answers to this question

Ceramic coatings, and the newest Graphene Ceramic Coatings, are a different technology and product family than waxes and sealants. They're a step up, even way up, in protection, shine, hydrophobic properties, ease of maintenance, etc. With coatings, prep is everything - you're right that paint correction is the same, and decon is highly recommended, too. You'll want the paint as perfect as you can since you'll be locking it in for a year or much longer.

Now to your questions...

What would you do after the paint was corrected? Just use the ceramic and be done? (Still researching exactly which one I want to use and that process)

- If you're going to coat it, technically you'll first need to use Surface Prep to remove any polish residue. Coatings need a completely naked surface to bond properly. But on a broader scale, if you want to coat it, the coating is your base layer, and you should then use any of the silica-infused products as a topper/maintenance product. Coatings are not bulletproof, so you'll need to maintain it regularly to get the longest lasting results.

Does that mean all my BG, PS, BW and DS that I have are no longer any good or can't be used once I apply the ceramic?

- Yes and no. BG can still be used as something for the interior windshield or as an alternative glass cleaner. DS "can" be used on coatings, but "should" is another story as there are better options, Graphene Detail Spray being one. PS and BW shouldn't be used since layering them over a coating adversely affects the hydrophobic properties of the coating, negating the benefits you're after in the first place.

Can I still use my other washing products?  Basically is there anything I can't or shouldn't use once a ceramic has been applied. 

- What are you using now? Adam's has several options that can be used to both clean and boost ceramic coatings, like CS3, Ultra Foam, Wash & Wax (actually silica-based, not carnauba), and Wash & Coat.

Like I figured it would be dumb to apply a wax on top of a ceramic since it wouldn't offer any more protection and wouldn't 'bond' to the paint.

- "Dumb" isn't the right word, it's more, inappropriate. If you like to wax, Adam's does have Ceramic Liquid Wax that you can apply over the coating a couple of times a year.

This article has some great info, and videos are available to help show the installation process, among other things. Keep the questions coming!

Thanks for the info. I read over what you sent over and was pretty familiar with all that info. There wasn’t a ton of info about ceramics in it. 

I’m at around half or less than half a bottle on PS/BG/BG BW. No huge loss there. However I have nearly 3/4 of a gallon of DS. Use that stuff for everything. A quick interior “dusting”; a cleaning of the exterior if it’s slightly dirty such as dusty when sitting in garage or driven a day or two in dry non rainy weather; and a drying aid after washing. Drying is my main reason for DS but I also have the guard and gloss too (forgot to mention that) for drying once a month or so just for some extra protection. I have around a half gallon of it too. 

to answer your question on washing I use wash and wax (orange). I have a little over a half gallon of it. 

so what is the negative affects of using DS or G&G on ceramic until I run out? Or should I just keep doing what I’m doing until it runs out and then make the change over to ceramics?

Love the forum where I can ask these questions. 

Edited by jonaandkell