Customer Service 866.965.0400

Buttery Wax durability

QuickSilver20

Question

Hello all, 

New to the forum and detailing in general and had a question over the Buttery wax.  I did try searching but really couldn't find an answer.  I recently placed an order for the Buttery Wax and spray wax.  I know the buttery wax bottle says it lasts 4-6 weeks and the spray wax says it will extend the life of current protection on the car but was curious what a realistic expectation would be as far as how long the buttery wax will last if I use detail spray/ spray wax every 1-2 weeks.

I have a WRX and it is kind of a cross between a daily driver and a garage queen as I only drive 20-50 miles per week.  I also work from home so the car is not exposed to the sun throughout the day just for cruising and trips to the store.  I was not sure if the buttery wax (or carnauba waxes in general) will break down at the same rate spending most of the time in the garage vs getting driven in the elements.

I have been doing a lot more reading after I placed my order and also came across the ceramic liquid wax which I think would have been a better choice.  I didn't even see it when I placed my order since it is under the ceramic tab and I just assumed that was strictly ceramic coatings and it seems from the description that will give more durability and protection then the buttery wax.  But still think the buttery wax will work given how the car is going to be used for the next year or so. 

4 answers to this question

Great questions! Buttery Wax is one of our easiest products with some great gloss and depth with little effort, but as you noted, it's not one of our most durable products. It's good for those that like to wax their vehicles more frequently without worrying too much about build-up of too many layers. As far as sitting in the garage vs getting driven in the elements, it should last longer if it's garaged frequently; however heat and sun are the main elements that will wear down Buttery Wax, so if your garage gets very hot in the summer or if the car sits outside in the sun often, you may see it degrade more quickly (also store the bottle in a room temperature area if possible). 

Combining Buttery Wax with Spray Wax or Detail Spray ever few weeks is a perfect combo. It will certainly help and should let the Buttery Wax last a little longer per application. You could use a light mist of Spray Wax or Detail Spray as a drying aid each time you wash the vehicle too. One or two sprays per panel is enough when using them as a drying aid, as you're just trying to reduce water spotting and add a little bit more shine and protection without leaving any smearing or streaks.

Ceramic Liquid Wax is a newer product and almost as easy to use as Buttery Wax - they both apply very similarly, but Ceramic Liquid Wax is more of a synthetic sealant with ceramic infusion compared to more traditional waxes used in Buttery Wax. Ceramic Liquid Wax will usually last 1-3 months per application on its own from most vehicles I have used/tested it on. If you eventually decide to try out the Ceramic Liquid Wax after your Buttery Wax is used up, CS3 or Graphene Detail Spray both pair excellent with it, since they're both in the same product family 👍 

Not that it matters when it comes to protection or performance, but Ceramic Liquid Wax has one of my favorite scents of all of our products, and I love how the smell stays in my garage for a few days after using it 😄

One additional comment about the Ceramic Liquid Wax, a little bit will cover a lot of area.  If you are used to Buttery Wax, which is a great product, you'll probably find you need 1/2 to 1/3 per panel of Ceramic Liquid Wax and you'll have great coverage.   Also, as Dan mentioned, leave your vehicle sitting in the garage overnight and it will smell great afterwards.

Dan I appreciate the input.  I am in NC so the summers do get hot but overall it's not terrible for more of the year.  The car rarely sits in the sun all day so that should definitely help it last longer.  I normally wax my cars every 3 months so I may need to shorten it a little bit but it sounds like with the detail spray/ spray wax that 2-2.5 months shouldn't be out of the question.  In all honestly it seems like it is a fairly easy product to use and I enjoy waxing my car so shortening it will be an excuse to spend more time detailing the car which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Once I get through the wax and detail spray I just received I am looking forward to trying out the ceramic infused products and CS3.