Customer Service 866.965.0400

How much ceramic coating is needed for truck?

luke1333

Question

Hello all, been throwing around the idea of ceramic coating the truck in the spring as I have a set of 22" wheels that are new I need to seal up anyways. How much ceramic coating do I need? Was looking at the new Adams Graphene coating and it is a 60 ml bottle, the wheel coatings I have seen are 30 ml or so. Is 60 ml enough for wheels and the entire truck? It is a 2020 Sierra Crew Cab just trying to figure things out especially since Adams has it on sale right now!

Also can I continue to use my Lusso car soap I love or would I have to use the Adams one?

Link:

https://adamspolishes.com/products/graphene-ceramic-coating™?_pos=4&_sid=9e1dc1435&_ss=r

Edited by luke1333

24 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

First, welcome! Be sure to post an intro so we can get to know you and properly welcome you.

Yes, the 60ml bottle is more than enough for the entire truck and wheels. It'll coat 2-3 average sized cars, for reference. Post some pictures and your done!

Awesome thanks for the quick reply! Lusso car wash ok to use? I have a gallon of it left still and want to make sure it was ok and will no degrade the coating

23 hours ago, falcaineer said:

While I can't vouch for competitor's products, a cursory check on that shampoo looks like it should be fine. That said, Adam's makes car shampoos specific for coatings, Wash & Coat among them, that can be used for boost and maintain your coating.

Awesome, yeah I have heard it is a good idea to use a boost every once in awhile to maintain it!

Thanks for your help!

Edited by luke1333

1 hour ago, luke1333 said:

Awesome, yeah I have heard it is a good idea to use a boost every once in awhile to maintain it!

Thanks for your help!

Yep, maintenance can definitely prolong your coating. For example, Ceramic Boost once a month, and Graphene Detail Spray weekly is a great regimen.

12 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Yep, maintenance can definitely prolong your coating. For example, Ceramic Boost once a month, and Graphene Detail Spray weekly is a great regimen.

Good deal and if I buy the graphene kit this week and wait for a month or two to install will it be ok still? Will not open of course just curious on shelf life as it is still cold here in Ohio and snowy lol

@luke1333

My 2 cents worth.  I have been a fan of Adams for several years. I have NOT been a fan of their protectant products as they never really held up very well in my environment compared to the other cheaper brands. That has changed recently when I tried Adams Graphene ceramic.  It is undoubtedly the best product I have ever used. Super slick (unlike their original ceramic) and very durable.

I really did not have a ton of it left after doing the white truck in the picture but it was enough. I did have enough remaining to do 1/2 of my wifes hood and testing other products on the other half.  The Graphene is still going strong and the other stuff disappears in a few washes.

I am still finding my way with boost maintenance but have had great results with graphene detail spray.   Chris mentioned Wash & Coat. I had not heard of it and Adams has did a pretty good job hiding it in their store.  I am not a fan of wash and wax stuff and the reviews really do not look great on the product so I think I am going to stick with what works for now.

I think you will be happy and as mentioned above the kit is enough to do a full size truck like mine. One thing I will mention is you really need to get a feel for when to wipe it off. All the Adams videos I watched showed it being applied and then removed pretty quickly. In my case (70 degrees and high humidity) it really took about 8 minutes and I found the best way to know is when its starting to get grabby with the towel when you wipe it off.

Welcome to the site. I am sure you will be happy with the Adams kit.

20201121_090644(0).jpg

On 2/3/2021 at 10:11 AM, rrmccabe said:

@luke1333

My 2 cents worth.  I have been a fan of Adams for several years. I have NOT been a fan of their protectant products as they never really held up very well in my environment compared to the other cheaper brands. That has changed recently when I tried Adams Graphene ceramic.  It is undoubtedly the best product I have ever used. Super slick (unlike their original ceramic) and very durable.

I really did not have a ton of it left after doing the white truck in the picture but it was enough. I did have enough remaining to do 1/2 of my wifes hood and testing other products on the other half.  The Graphene is still going strong and the other stuff disappears in a few washes.

I am still finding my way with boost maintenance but have had great results with graphene detail spray.   Chris mentioned Wash & Coat. I had not heard of it and Adams has did a pretty good job hiding it in their store.  I am not a fan of wash and wax stuff and the reviews really do not look great on the product so I think I am going to stick with what works for now.

I think you will be happy and as mentioned above the kit is enough to do a full size truck like mine. One thing I will mention is you really need to get a feel for when to wipe it off. All the Adams videos I watched showed it being applied and then removed pretty quickly. In my case (70 degrees and high humidity) it really took about 8 minutes and I found the best way to know is when its starting to get grabby with the towel when you wipe it off.

Welcome to the site. I am sure you will be happy with the Adams kit.

20201121_090644(0).jpg

Thanks for the info! Good looking truck and I think I am going to try it. Honestly never liked the Adams stuff but I have seen good stuff about the newer graphene and really like the UV light. I used IGL ceramic in the past and it is so hard to see where you have been so UV light is a really good idea imo. Don't know when to buy it yet as it is still chilly here in ohio and not ready to put summer wheels on yet!

12 hours ago, luke1333 said:

Thanks for the info! Good looking truck and I think I am going to try it. Honestly never liked the Adams stuff but I have seen good stuff about the newer graphene and really like the UV light. I used IGL ceramic in the past and it is so hard to see where you have been so UV light is a really good idea imo. Don't know when to buy it yet as it is still chilly here in ohio and not ready to put summer wheels on yet!

Check out this post for some tips on coating a truck.

Follow up.  I do not like car washes :)  I always hand wash and have not been to car wash in years.

But our winter has been brutal and I had white salt and stuff growing on the truck. So off the car wash I went.  I have never been able to get road film off so its really never clean when I leave.  But with the graphene was amazing. Dirt came off easy and was spotless when I left. 

20210223_154210.jpg

On 2/23/2021 at 10:37 PM, TheWolf said:

Check out this post for some tips on coating a truck.

I saw this already!! Truck looks great! Hopefully I won't have to do quite this much work as already paint corrected truck when I got it and threw sealant on it but it's slowly breaking down. Hoping I can get away with a strip wash and minor correction before ceramic coating.

2 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

Follow up.  I do not like car washes :)  I always hand wash and have not been to car wash in years.

But our winter has been brutal and I had white salt and stuff growing on the truck. So off the car wash I went.  I have never been able to get road film off so its really never clean when I leave.  But with the graphene was amazing. Dirt came off easy and was spotless when I left. 

20210223_154210.jpg

This is awesome news! 😎 How long has the graphene been on it? And luckily at work I have access to heated wash bay and local car wash is nice too so it's a win win in all conditions! Just tough moving a big truck around the wash bays sometimes lol

Just a few months actually but its been a struggle to keep protect-ant of any kind on it.  I have a 1000sf garage with heated floors with drains and setup to wash but the way the roads are its going to be trashed quickly. So was not ambitious enough to do a hand wash.

On 2/27/2021 at 4:12 PM, rrmccabe said:

Just a few months actually but its been a struggle to keep protect-ant of any kind on it.  I have a 1000sf garage with heated floors with drains and setup to wash but the way the roads are its going to be trashed quickly. So was not ambitious enough to do a hand wash.

Oh c'mon do a hand wash lol hand washed mine yesterday, ceramic coating will be here Saturday and then hopefully a few days warm enough to do it in the next month or so. Looks good still but I can tell my bfwd sealant is breaking down on the lower panels and back of truck

PSX_20210303_194910.thumb.jpg.207f52bd4e60679cbb372b218d0fa43d.jpg

11 hours ago, falcaineer said:

They should take care of you... You may not hear back till early next week, Adam's is closed on Sundays

No worries I'm not doing it for another month or so. Just hoping they take care of it. People on Amazon had the same issue and said to buy it from Adams and then I get same issue lol this is why I buy ahead of time in case of incidents like this! Appreciate the reply!

On 3/6/2021 at 9:56 PM, falcaineer said:

They should take care of you... You may not hear back till early next week, Adam's is closed on Sundays

Got email this morning from Christian saying they are sending me a new one and already shipped it out! Awesome customer service! Looks like you were right man! Cheers!! Can't wait to do this next month!

@luke1333If the broken bottle still has Graphene in it that isn't hardened, you can use it on many other items around your house, but I would not recommend using it on a vehicle.  Think creatively for things like your lawn mower, tool handles, outside of the flower pots or other yard ornaments.  I always have something around the house that I can use a small amount on when I finish a vehicle.  

The only things I wouldn't recommend is unfinished wood, concrete or other porous surfaces, since it would just puddle or soak in.

14 hours ago, RayS said:

@luke1333If the broken bottle still has Graphene in it that isn't hardened, you can use it on many other items around your house, but I would not recommend using it on a vehicle.  Think creatively for things like your lawn mower, tool handles, outside of the flower pots or other yard ornaments.  I always have something around the house that I can use a small amount on when I finish a vehicle.  

The only things I wouldn't recommend is unfinished wood, concrete or other porous surfaces, since it would just puddle or soak in.

I thought about doing my golf clubs and/or phone LOL

7 hours ago, luke1333 said:

I thought about doing my golf clubs and/or phone LOL

I use the Ceramic Waterless Wash on my clubs, it works great for cleaning them up after a round, except on the grips.   The Fabric Cleaner and soft brush does an excellent job on the bag and I have seriously thought about using the spray coating on it after doing several toneau coves and a couple of convertible tops. 

54 minutes ago, RayS said:

I use the Ceramic Waterless Wash on my clubs, it works great for cleaning them up after a round, except on the grips.   The Fabric Cleaner and soft brush does an excellent job on the bag and I have seriously thought about using the spray coating on it after doing several toneau coves and a couple of convertible tops. 

Yeah I haven't thought about the spray coating on the bag. I had a mustang years ago and the convertible top was sealed up so well it beaded off like paint. That would be sweet on a bag!

22 hours ago, luke1333 said:

Yeah I haven't thought about the spray coating on the bag. I had a mustang years ago and the convertible top was sealed up so well it beaded off like paint. That would be sweet on a bag!

If you do a search on my posts, you'll be able to find pictures of the toneau covers and Red Mustang Convertible.  The more I'm thinking about it, I should probably do both bags.  If I do the bag on Saturday, I test when I go play on Sunday.

IMG_0911.JPG