Customer Service 866.965.0400

Graphene Ceramic - Application in Cold?

Question

Hi guys,

Im up north and it’s quite cold out currently.  -12 degrees Celsius this morning.

I have a Graphene Ceramic Kit on it’s way. My car is in the garage, and do have a large propane space heater to warm the garage - which I plan to use when applying the coating.   Should be fairly toasty in there. 

but I’m not able to heat the garage past the application tbh.  Once the product is applied, is it okay to turn off the heaters and let the temp in the garage sink back to around zero (Celsius). Or will this cause issues with the curing process?

side note - once the coating is done. What should I be spraying onto the car?  Is Adam’s detail spray okay?  Or does it have to be Graphene detail spray?  Are they’re any detailing products that should be avoided?

thanks!

7 answers to this question

Hi there, and welcome to the forum!

For the Graphene Ceramic Coating, it would be best for the application and curing temperature to be around 50F (10C) or higher. Temperatures at or near freezing will make the application more difficult. Moisture is also a big issue during the cure process - if there is moisture, the coating can try to cure to it rather than the clear coat surface, and could leave water spotting. We recommend keeping the vehicle indoors for a minimum of 24 hours after application. 5-10 Celsius for curing should be ok but isn't ideal. 15-20 Celsius would be great if possible at least for the first few hours.

Once the coating is applied and cured, we recommend Graphene Detail Spray or any of our SiO2-infused ceramic products for maintaining - CS3, Ceramic Waterless, Ceramic Boost, Wash + Coat are all great options. Our blue Car Shampoo and Mega Foam are fully compatible for washing as well. Our regular pink Detail Spray is ok for a coated vehicle, but the choices above will be more compatible.

If this is your first time coating a vehicle, I would recommend checking out the recent Graphene Writeup I did a few weeks ago and also watching our installation video, as well as our latest video on troubleshooting issues with a coating installation:

https://adamspolishes.com/pages/graphene-ceramic-coating-explained

Thanks so much, Dan. 

Sounds like the best course of action is to prep the car over the winter, and apply the coating in the spring. The car is parked for winter anyhow. 

The vehicle is brand new (well 345km). So I plan to clay the car with the detail spray and light duty Adam’s clay. Then polish the car with my da polisher (I have a bottle of CG Black light polish, is it okay to use that?  I also have a bottle of Adam’s Paint sealant I received in a mystery box - would either work?). Put the cover on the car, then in the spring use the decaminate spray that comes in the kit and then apply the Graphene ceramic coating. 

good plan?

Edited by Quikcolin
35 minutes ago, Quikcolin said:

Thanks so much, Dan. 

Sounds like the best course of action is to prep the car over the winter, and apply the coating in the spring. The car is parked for winter anyhow. 

The vehicle is brand new (well 345km). So I plan to clay the car with the detail spray and light duty Adam’s clay. Then polish the car with my da polisher (I have a bottle of CG Black light polish, is it okay to use that?  I also have a bottle of Adam’s Paint sealant I received in a mystery box - would either work?). Put the cover on the car, then in the spring use the decaminate spray that comes in the kit and then apply the Graphene ceramic coating. 

good plan?

Congrats on the new ride! What did you get?

I'm not familiar with that specific product as we try to keep discussions here to Adam's Polishes products, but from a quick search, it looks like that product is not a polish, but rather a glaze and sealant. You do not want to use that or our Paint Sealant, unless you are wanting temporary protection on the vehicle until you are ready to apply the Graphene Ceramic Coating. If you use either of those, you will need to use Compound or Polish with a machine polisher in order remove the sealant and get back down to the bare clear coat to then apply the Graphene Ceramic Coating - the Surface Prep in our kit will not be enough to remove a sealant like either of those. 

If using a car cover, you may need to do some light machine polishing with our White Foam Pad and white Polish to remove any possible fine marring and faint scratching from taking the cover on and off of the vehicle. Sometimes even light breezes from a garage door opening can cause car covers to lift and settle back down onto the vehicle and cause some light marring, so you will want to be careful of that too.

Thanks so much, again

I bought a 2020 Mustang GT PP2. I’ve since learned that mine is one of the last ever to be produced (as the PP2 is discontinued along side the gt350 and Bullitt).  

Okay, so I should get some of your “white polish”, give the car a full once over with the DA polisher, then the surface prep, and finally the ceramic coating. 

The cover on my car is one of those super soft fabric ones. Super tight fitting.  

You’re definitely living up to the customer service and support everyone raves about!!!  Thank you!