Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pressure washer & brake question

ChasKSC

Question

I have a sedan, in great condition. Since it's winter, I've been taking the car to my car wash in the DIY wand-wash bay. The pressure washer has a 15 degree angle with a wide fan and I hold it about 3 feet away. 

Question 1. Every time I use it, there's always soap and water inside the truck, kind of "behind" the rubber. It's not going inside the trunk, so my stuff is fine. It's clearly gone in the crack of the trunk lid, where the hinges are. Any idea how to prevent this, or what I should do?

Question 2. I used the wand wash to clean inside the wheels. When I was done, there was almost like a "gurgling" or "buzzing" sound. After using the brakes locally around the area, it seemed fine. It is NOT squeaking lol. Any idea what this is? I've washed my tires and wheels before, but never using a pressure washer, inside the wheels.

Thanks guys!  

6 answers to this question

Hi Chas,

For the first question, it is likely that there is a small hole or the glue has failed on one small area of the weather stripping.  The glue failure is usually easier to find than the small hole.  You can usually find the glue failure by going every inch or so in the area were you suspect the failure and just try to lift up the weather stripping.  If it doesn't move the glue is good, but when you hit that spot that has failed, it will be noticeably different.  You can get small tubes of weather stripping glue, it is not the same as  gasket glue.

When looking for the small hole, you may be able to see if by a color different in the weather stripping. Sometimes it can be the difference from being black vs dark black.  If the weather stripping was just pinched you can fix it with some glue that can hold a gorilla, just make sure it is dry before you close the trunk and you should only need a drop or two.  If the weather stripping is falling apart, then you need to replace the entire thing.

On 2/15/2021 at 7:33 PM, RayS said:

Hi Chas,

For the first question, it is likely that there is a small hole or the glue has failed on one small area of the weather stripping.  The glue failure is usually easier to find than the small hole.  You can usually find the glue failure by going every inch or so in the area were you suspect the failure and just try to lift up the weather stripping.  If it doesn't move the glue is good, but when you hit that spot that has failed, it will be noticeably different.  You can get small tubes of weather stripping glue, it is not the same as  gasket glue.

When looking for the small hole, you may be able to see if by a color different in the weather stripping. Sometimes it can be the difference from being black vs dark black.  If the weather stripping was just pinched you can fix it with some glue that can hold a gorilla, just make sure it is dry before you close the trunk and you should only need a drop or two.  If the weather stripping is falling apart, then you need to replace the entire thing.

Thanks for your response Ray. Any thoughts on the brake question?  

Maybe I wasn't so clear on the trunk question lol. The weather stripping looks great. I inspected it closely today, and no issues. The water is not "inside" the part where the weather stripping protects. It's where the hinge of the trunk is, "outside" the weather stripping area. My concern is there's usually a lot lol. 

I think Chris and Chris answered the questions.  As for the brakes, that is not a problem that I have experienced with vehicles with disk brakes.  However, if you have drum brakes, I have experienced that multiple times.  The solution is to drive it a little bit and it goes away.