Customer Service 866.965.0400

Original 1966 paint...what products do you use?

RainDance

Question

Hi All,

During the snow, Ive been thinking about wax!  What does anyone with an old car with original paint use to detail?  I've clayed, and use Buttery wax.  I want it to really shine!

I have an older Pontiac (1966 Catalina convertible)  I still have factory paint!  The color is called Blue Charcoal.  I want it to really shine like new.  I'm afraid to go with ceramics due to it being a more permanent option.  What does everyone use?

Thank you

6 answers to this question

On older vehicles with their original single stage paint I'll usually use Adam's Paint Sealant and recommend customers maintain the shine with his H2O Guard and Gloss after washings with the hose. Traditional waxes don't last as long as sealants, and I'd rather not mess with the original paint using Ceramics. I reserve Ceramics for newer vehicles and those with Clear Coat, however, the Ceramics could be used on older paints. I did a 1980 original paint Camaro a couple months ago and Graphene Ceramic Coated the black hood as there wasn't much paint left and wanted to preserve what was there the best I could.

Adam's Paint Sealant:

KH57jOt.jpg

Graphene Ceramic Coated black on hood:

skn7va7.jpg

Edited by BRZN

True shine comes from proper paint correction, the rest is enhancement and protection. If you want it to really shine, paint correction is something to consider (granted, I don't know how much paint is left). If you haven't done it before, here's a video from Adam where he talks about the process including single stage paint. For protection, my only concern with using a coating is the solvent and its potential effects on the original paint. Also below is an article on wax vs sealant vs coatings to help guide you on which may be better for your color and situation.

P.S. I moved this to a more appropriate forum to get better traffic and inputs...

26 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

True shine comes from proper paint correction, the rest is enhancement and protection. If you want it to really shine, paint correction is something to consider (granted, I don't know how much paint is left). If you haven't done it before, here's a video from Adam where he talks about the process including single stage paint. For protection, my only concern with using a coating is the solvent and its potential effects on the original paint. Also below is an article on wax vs sealant vs coatings to help guide you on which may be better for your color and situation.

P.S. I moved this to a more appropriate forum to get better traffic and inputs...

I have worked on multiple 20-50 year old original paint vehicles and have found my preference of Americana or Ceramic Paste Wax.  For vehicles are that got out to shows, I tend to prefer Americana and the expectation is that you'll do regular wax jobs on them.  If it is a high end show car, then it is Patriots without question.

From cruisers and vehicles that may sit in the garage for months without being touched, I prefer the Ceramic Paste Wax.  It will last a long time and looks exception when you go it with Graphene Detail Spray before you go out running around.

Bob,

First, Hello to a fellow Pittsburgher!  I was born and raised there but now live in York PA.  As you can see by the pictures in my signature I have 3 older vehicles that I take care of. The Morris is a clear coat so it doesnt apply here.  The 52 Chevy is the original paint and was (and to some extent still is) very imperfect.  however, after polishing I did use Paint Sealant and H2O G&G and it is much better than I expected.  The MGB was repainted about 25 years ago( I was told) but it is a single stage.  After polishing, I used paint sealant and have used Americana over the top.  I love the shine that gives.  Mind you, all 3 cars are garage kept but, they are driven as much as possible (at least once a week each).  They just dont see a lot of bad weather unless it rains while i am at a show or cruise (which has happened a lot more than I would have liked).  Good luck and post some pics of the Catalina (my first car was a 67 Grand Prix convertible)

Edited by kaj41354