Customer Service 866.965.0400

Graphene Ceramic after "Old" ceramic

KoryMiller340

Question

Hello,

In May of 2018, I applied the original Ceramic Coating (7H) to my car.  Approximately 1 year later the car was involved in an accident, and after getting it back from the body shop, and giving the paint some time to cure, I applied the coating (9H now because I ran out of the 7H) to only the part of the vehicle that had been involved in the accident.  I have been logging my washes / applications of ceramic boost since 2018, and I've had approximately 40 washes, and applied the boost just about every 3-4 washes.  

With all of that being said, I recently purchased the Graphene coating and would like to apply it to this vehicle.  My question is, do I need to polish the whole car again prior to applying the new coating, or can I simply just clay it, use the coating prep and apply the coating?  The only reason I ask is because I know you can apply the coating in layers, like you can wax if you choose, and anywhere that would still have the old coating would essentially be getting a new "layer" of coating, and anywhere that the coating has already worn off would be getting a fresh application of coating.  I'm not trying to cut corners, but unless it is absolutely necessary to polish this whole thing to ensure that all of the old coating is gone, the car really does not need to be polished again because it is in great shape.

Also,

Anyone that has used the newer ceramic coatings, back when I initially did this, you had to be careful not to get the coating on the trim, plastic, etc.  What has your experience been with the new stuff?  Does it work well?  Are there any prep tips in order to make this look great on non-painted surfaces?  Or should I just do what I did the last time, and be careful not to get it anywhere that isn't painted?

Just looking for opinions / advice on this.  

I can send pics or anything else that would help if necessary.

Thank you!

2 answers to this question

Agreed with @The Guz above. 

One tip, be sure to level it on any textured plastic just like on paint. The instructions and video below say otherwise, but not doing so could leave whitish steaks that are difficult to remove. Here's the application video. 

The Graphene Ceramic really is awesome, but with any Coating, prep is everything.