Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need Advice

kaj41354

Question

My wife just purchased a 2021 Hyundai Kona (Black) as in the attached photo.  My question revolves around Graphene products.  With my classics and previous daily drivers, I have always used Americana Wax.  Admittedly it has needed redone every few months on the daily driver but our daily drive doesnt get that much use (10k yearly at most).  I have been considering going to the Graphene product line for this car but i have a fear of really screwing it up and with a black car that is my wifes well I really dont have a death wish.  I would like to know peoples recommendations for use on this car and things like: Is the Spray coating easier to use? How hard is the trim to do (since this car has so much of it)? These are bright alloy wheels so is the spray coating good for them? PLUS, anything else you can think of to educate this old man on Graphene. TIA

konasel.jpg

9 answers to this question

Hey Kurt.  I have a black Equinox that I drive around 6000 miles a year.  I don't have the time, willpower, or patience for a full Graphene application, so I did all the prep work and used the Graphene Spray Coating and maintain it with the Graphene Detail Spray.  I do it once a year, so that's pretty good!!  So wash , clay, polish, wipe, and apply.  Here's mine. 

62392170_10215951793246893_5042139043970678784_n.jpg

Hi Kurt, 

I follow @Rich with using the Spray Coatings on my vehicles.  I have done a couple with the full coating, but none on my personal vehicles.  When it comes to Trim, it is all about prep and following directions.  I also recommend reading through the Forum to see some of the issues where there was deviation from instructions as it gives some good information in case a mistake is made.  I'm not the fastest person on doing this, but I generally up spending as much time on the trim as I do the rest of the panel it is attached to.

Thanks @Rich and @RayS.  That was the way I was going but needed some confirmation I was on the right track.  

@RayS as far as following directions, thats not usually a problem as I am OCD about that.  My wife and I go round and round every time we have something that we need to assemble.  I will take the instructions and read them thoroughly then follow step by step while she (a retired USAF Civil Engineer) will just dig in and start assembly. 

@Rich I always put a lot of weight on someone from my part of PA!  I was born in Pittsburgh! The Equinox looks great!!!!! What do you use on the trim (around bottom), the wheels and tires?  

On the tires, I use the Graphene Tire Spray.  As for the trim, I just use the same as I use on the paint, the Graphene Detail Spray.  As for the wheels,  same thing.  It's what works best for me, and I like the results.  

Thanks everybody for the help.  I ordered some of the GSC, GDS, GTD and GS.  That should set me up for the Kona.  I do have another semi-related question though.  My MGB has a vinyl Convertible top, tonneau and half tonneau.  Would it be beneficial to use GSC on those?  I was just going to use VRT but if I can use the Graphene and get better protection,....

11 hours ago, kaj41354 said:

Thanks everybody for the help.  I ordered some of the GSC, GDS, GTD and GS.  That should set me up for the Kona.  I do have another semi-related question though.  My MGB has a vinyl Convertible top, tonneau and half tonneau.  Would it be beneficial to use GSC on those?  I was just going to use VRT but if I can use the Graphene and get better protection,....

Full disclosure: I have not yet used the Adam's Fabric Protector since it is rather new.  The products that I have used for the 20'sh years are similar and I have found some fabrics need different products, so I have regularly used two different conditioners.  However, Based on the reputation and satisfaction with the Adam's Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner, I will be trying the Adam's Fabric Protector in the near future.

The coatings on a toneau or convertible top are fantastic whether it is a canvas, vinyl weave.  I start by doing a good wash and then it goes in the garage and gets to dry for for 12 to 24 hours according to humidity.  I have found that having a fan or two blowing gently across the top prevents water marks.   Once it is completely dry, I apply the conditioner, sometimes multiple coats are required if the vehicle has been outside or the top is sun bleached. 

The top is just like the rest of the vehicle, it is all about the preparation, but don't put Coating Prep on the Canvas or Vinyl, you may get a bad reaction.  The hardest part is once the coating is ready to be wiped off and I found having a couple borderless grey towels ready and stuck in my pockets works best.  I generally try to do 1/2 a rib at a time or not more than 2 foot wide by half the width.   For the center you need to overlap to prevent have a center racing stripe.

Once the coating flashes or rainbows, start wiping it down and keep wiping it down, flipping the towel several times.   Once you think you have it wiped down, pull out your second towel and go over it again and should glide very easy, if not you missed a spot.  Now you can go on to the next section and repeat the process.   If the MGB has the plastic window, use the coating on it and keeps the water from sticking to it also.

You can flip through this thread and see how I turned a sun bleached top in a beautiful black top again.  

On 3/8/2021 at 1:11 AM, Rich said:

On the tires, I use the Graphene Tire Spray.  As for the trim, I just use the same as I use on the paint, the Graphene Detail Spray.  As for the wheels,  same thing.  It's what works best for me, and I like the results.  

@Richas far as the trim, which is textured, what kind of prep do you do? Is it just cleaning (coating prep/IPA) or is there something further I need to do?  Getting warmer here so I may actually get a chance soone to do the new car.

6 hours ago, kaj41354 said:

@Richas far as the trim, which is textured, what kind of prep do you do? Is it just cleaning (coating prep/IPA) or is there something further I need to do?  Getting warmer here so I may actually get a chance soone to do the new car.

Clean it, wipe it down with the prep if you have it, or alcohol. Then apply the Graphene the same as you do on the paint.