Customer Service 866.965.0400

Easiest way to remove graphene spray coating

ayorayj

Question

I’ve had the graphene spray coating on my car for about 6 months. I decided I want to up grade to the full graphene ceramic coating. What’s the easiest way to remove the spray coating without polishing or compounding?

7 answers to this question

It takes mechanical action to remove a Ceramic Coating. You're going to have to machine polish it off. I was able to remove the regular SiO2 Ceramic Coating with a Microfiber Pad and Compound and a bit of work. The Spray Coating should come off much easier, especially after being on the vehicle for six months.

If a little remains you should be fine since they're two similar chemicals and will bond to each other as long as the original layer isn't too substantial.

Be sure to thoroughly wipe the vehicle down with Surface Prep before application.

9 hours ago, ayorayj said:

I just did a one step a few months ago. Just trying to save a much clear coat as I can. 

You really aren't removing all that much, and the coating will protect the remainder for years to come. If you don't polish it off, the new coating won't fully bond properly. I foresee you'll need to remove it again down the road due to diminished performance and probably sooner than you otherwise would've, meaning polishing it all over again anyway.

Ultimately, it's your car, but to get the best results, you'll want to remove as much of the Spray Coating as possible before applying the traditional coating, and that means using the machine.