Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Spray on Truck Bed Cover

MitchPI

Question

I've searched and didnt see any other topics, so hopefully this isnt redundant.  I have a bottle of the original ceramic spray that hasnt been used.  I'd like to use it on my tri-fold truck bed cover which has rubber/metal panels (Undercover UltraFlex).  My question is in regards to prep; I have used VRT on it in the  past, so is a strip wash sufficient to prep it or should I be using the trim cleaner or surface prep on it?  Thanks

2 answers to this question

4 hours ago, MitchPI said:

I've searched and didnt see any other topics, so hopefully this isnt redundant.  I have a bottle of the original ceramic spray that hasnt been used.  I'd like to use it on my tri-fold truck bed cover which has rubber/metal panels (Undercover UltraFlex).  My question is in regards to prep; I have used VRT on it in the  past, so is a strip wash sufficient to prep it or should I be using the trim cleaner or surface prep on it?  Thanks

I've done 4 or 5 bed covers and 2 convertible tops, all with the original ceramic spray coating.  First and most importantly is to ensure the surface is clean, cool and out of the sun when you do the application.  My prep has been a full strip wash and then using one of two products that I've used for years.  Adam's does sell the Fabric Protection kit that states it works on all fabrics including convertible tops, but I have not used it yet, so I cannot comment on it.

I have never used surface prep on any of the tonneau covers or convertible tops.  The strip wash and conditioner and that is it.

Once the surface is clean and conditioned, completely dry and has been out of the sun and cool, try a small test area to see how it comes out.  Once the ceramic spray coating flashes, you need to wipe it down the same as you would on a paint surface.   Wait 10 or 15 minutes and you'll know how the rest of the cover or top should look.  If you like the looks, then do a sections at a time.  For the tonneau covers, I split the box in half and then do one section at a time until I complete one side and then I go to the other side.  

The first picture is a trifold tonneau that is half done and the second picture is once it was completely done.   You didn't state how old/new your cover is, so the 3rd picture is of a Mustang top and showing the difference between unconditioned and conditioned.  I ended up going over the Mustang top with the conditioner twice to get it to look right and have an even look to it.

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

Top Half Done.jpeg

Edited by RayS