Customer Service 866.965.0400

Continental DWS06 and DWS06 tire dressing issues.

Mantis

Question

Hello everyone,

I'm having the same issue I had with the older Continental DWS06 tires that are on our Audi S4 with our 2020 Dodge Charger I just put a brand new set of the new version of this tire on it in the DWS06 Plus.

So just form some back ground, I had a 2017 Durango with bridgestone tires on it and those tires where awesome to dress. At one point I stripped them down and used Tire Armor and that lasted about 7 to 8 months. I stripped it off as I wanted a different look with Wheel and tire cleaner 50/50 cut. 

Our other car is a Dodge Charger but that has Michelins on it and they also clean right up and dress beautifully.

This is a huge issue as after a deep cleaning of the DWS06 tires or the brand new set in the DWS06 Plus, I dressed them with VRT and it went on with Adam's Polishes Foam Tire sponge which is awesome I have a few of them and I have one for each different tire dressing I have including the Tire Armor.

Since you are a detailing company , I'm wondering if you ran into these tires and found the same issue. I have Rubber and Tire clean as well as Wheel and Tire cleaner. I have used both products and I can get the tires perfectly clean , no brown at all and still after a blow dry , they will not hold tire dressing. It's gotta be something they are doing with some kind of coating from the factory. Never in my 30 plus years detailing have I ran into any tire that won't hold dressing after a deep cleaning.Only these tires I have found have this issue.

So have you guys ran into this issue? I gotta assume you have ran into these tires, they are excellent tires All season for high performance cars. They are my favorite perfoming tire but I can't ge them show car ready.

Thanks up front for any input you may have.

5D745A67-B066-4B93-9B5F-DE1B031759A4.jpeg

9A8925CD-8170-4786-BACF-945AC069431E.jpeg

B76B19DC-D68D-4CE3-96D9-3543EA5676CB.jpeg

Some tire companies DO have a coating applied to their rubber. Looks like it's just your luck to have found two sets!  But the problem with Continental DWS tires has been going on for years.  Are yours showing up white sometimes?  I've heard using a strong degreaser like Purple Power helps.  You can get it at WalMart.  Yeah, I know I'm probably breaking the rules even mentioning the name, but it's industrial strength, and I don't think Adam's makes anything quite that strong. Get some, give your tires a good coating and let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then scrub. Wouldn't hurt to do it twice, and then try dressing the tires with the Tire Armor and see if there's any difference.  Good luck. 

How new are these tires?  I ask because new tires have a release agent that is referred to as a mold wax. It takes a heavy duty cleaner to remove.  Try tarminator on a microfiber towel and then proceed with your cleaning.  

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Some tire companies DO have a coating applied to their rubber. Looks like it's just your luck to have found two sets!  But the problem with Continental DWS tires has been going on for years.  Are yours showing up white sometimes?  I've heard using a strong degreaser like Purple Power helps.  You can get it at WalMart.  Yeah, I know I'm probably breaking the rules even mentioning the name, but it's industrial strength, and I don't think Adam's makes anything quite that strong. Get some, give your tires a good coating and let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then scrub. Wouldn't hurt to do it twice, and then try dressing the tires with the Tire Armor and see if there's any difference.  Good luck. 

I own Purple Power. I have been using it for decades. It's a great all purpose cleaner and you can cut it differently for different jobs. I don't think it's an issue to talk about other products, hell we are all here because we love Detailing and Adam's products. But I'm sure not everyone ONLY uses Adams stuff. You use what works best and Adams stuff checks those boxes in almost all areas. But here and there , other products will work as good or better for the same or less money.

The Wheel and tire cleaner from Adam's seems to be the best rubber cleaner, even better then Rubber and Tire clean IMO. It's the only cleaner Adam's makes that actually broke down Tire Armor . Tire Armor once applied does not like to come off, unless your trying to use it on DWS06 tires.

I'm surprised no one contacted Continental about this issue and they worked on a solution. I can't find one if they have. I also contacted them and I'm waiting on a response.

I will try tomorrow to clean the tires again full strength. I used Wheel and tire clean 50/50 cut and maybe if I go full strength it will give the sidewalls enough bite so I can dress them with VRT. I like the Satin finish.

4 hours ago, The Guz said:

How new are these tires?  I ask because new tires have a release agent that is referred to as a mold wax. It takes a heavy duty cleaner to remove.  Try tarminator on a microfiber towel and then proceed with your cleaning.  

They are brand new. Thanks for the tip man. I have a brand new can of Adams Tar remover. Just got it a few days ago and haven't even used it. Should I give that a run and then re clean the tires?

Edited by Mantis

Different tire manufacturer's rubber compounds react differently to different chemicals, this includes cleaners and dressings/coatings.

How I prep new tires for Tire Armor, Tire Coating;

I work with them off the vehicle.

I scrub them thoroughly, twice, using the Tire Brush with Tire & Rubber Cleaner, or Wheel & Tire Cleaner, rinsing in-between and after.

Spray the tire down with Adams Tar or Stoners Tar and Sap Remover (work fast, out of the sun and try not to get any on the wheel to minimize the chance for damage) and scrub again using the Tire Brush.

Rinse thoroughly

Scrub one more time with Tire & Rubber Cleaner or Wheel & Tire Cleaner.

Wipe or Blow the tire completely dry.

If there's still white residue around any of the letters/numbers on the tire repeat the process until there's none. This is the mold release agent you want to remove.

Lay the tires in the direct sun, or use a heat gun to heat up the rubber. This will open the pores of the rubber up allowing the Tire Armor to soak into the tire rather than simply sitting on the surface.

I apply as many coats, waiting 20 minutes between coats, until I reach my desired amount of gloss.

I maintain the Tire Armor with Graphene Tire Dressing after each wash.

My brand new Vredestein tires have four coats of Tire Armor and the pictures of the car are two months after application:

01.thumb.jpg.9633a2c7389f6ef393284a02202c71ff.jpg

02.thumb.jpg.bda71e1abf7bf40725402861e7a3b298.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.792c4488f207d14a5fc6f9275ddbc407.jpg

The brand new Bridgestone's on the Camaro also received four coats of Tire Armor:

05.thumb.jpg.916144195338c215f32c86e3e12be78e.jpg

03.thumb.jpg.a688b4a32c6992a6e2db71a1e5a15130.jpg

12 hours ago, The Guz said:

They are brand new. Thanks for the tip man. 

On 5/23/2021 at 6:34 AM, BRZN said:

Different tire manufacturer's rubber compounds react differently to different chemicals, this includes cleaners and dressings/coatings.

How I prep new tires for Tire Armor, Tire Coating;

I work with them off the vehicle.

I scrub them thoroughly, twice, using the Tire Brush with Tire & Rubber Cleaner, or Wheel & Tire Cleaner, rinsing in-between and after.

Spray the tire down with Adams Tar or Stoners Tar and Sap Remover (work fast, out of the sun and try not to get any on the wheel to minimize the chance for damage) and scrub again using the Tire Brush.

Rinse thoroughly

Scrub one more time with Tire & Rubber Cleaner or Wheel & Tire Cleaner.

Wipe or Blow the tire completely dry.

If there's still white residue around any of the letters/numbers on the tire repeat the process until there's none. This is the mold release agent you want to remove.

Lay the tires in the direct sun, or use a heat gun to heat up the rubber. This will open the pores of the rubber up allowing the Tire Armor to soak into the tire rather than simply sitting on the surface.

I apply as many coats, waiting 20 minutes between coats, until I reach my desired amount of gloss.

I maintain the Tire Armor with Graphene Tire Dressing after each wash.

My brand new Vredestein tires have four coats of Tire Armor and the pictures of the car are two months after application:

01.thumb.jpg.9633a2c7389f6ef393284a02202c71ff.jpg

02.thumb.jpg.bda71e1abf7bf40725402861e7a3b298.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.792c4488f207d14a5fc6f9275ddbc407.jpg

The brand new Bridgestone's on the Camaro also received four coats of Tire Armor:

05.thumb.jpg.916144195338c215f32c86e3e12be78e.jpg

03.thumb.jpg.a688b4a32c6992a6e2db71a1e5a15130.jpg

Looks awesome man. I really like Tire Armor and didn't have any issues with it in the past with all the other tires I have used it on. I have not however tried the Tar Remover or a heat gun technic but I plan on doing that tomorrow. Its hot out today and I don't feel like sweating all over the place.

The tires right now are clean but the dressing I applied is completely gone. No rain no nothing . I had to wipe them down as it was a spotty mess.

Thanks for the tips man.

Edited by Mantis

I did everything , I cleaned them full strength, then rinse well. Then cleaned them with Tar Remover, rinsed again, then cleaned them once again 1/2 strength as the wheel and tire cleaner foams up when you cut it, there was absolutely no brown of any kind, just clean water and soap clear and white suds.

Used the Leaf blower to dry them down and let them sit outside for about an hour before I took it into the garage for it's first dressing. Didn't even bother with Tire armor my trigger is seized up and I couldn't get it to work so I just went VRT. Well it looked like it was gonna go on nice and even but it dried up, left a flat back finish with some streaks here and there. The way these tires react to dressing is like it rejects it.  I don't know if I should write to Adam's and see if they have a solution to these tires. They are the only ones in all my years of detailing and owning tires have I ever seen tires made out of rubber react like this.

I will snap some pic's so you guys can see. Maybe someone in here will have a actual solution to these tires, not a general solution as these are some strange tires.

B5B9B913-4402-401F-A0B8-3276AC760D51.jpeg

Edited by Mantis

it appears as if the tire absorbed the VRT and not necessarily rejected it.  Apply another layer and let it sit for a few minutes.  Come back with a microfiber and lightly wipe it down and see what it looks like.  

10 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Few questions - I don't have an exact solution, sorry - you cleaned with Tire and Adhesive Remover/TAR? Have you always done that? If so, why? Is it possible it leaves a film on the tires?

Chris, I suggested he try cleaning with the TAR in my post farther up the thread. The TAR, or Stoner's Bug and Sap Remover helps to strip the tires clean. He then followed up, also my suggestion, by scrubbing them again with Wheel & Tire Cleaner. He cut the Wheel & Tire Cleaner 50%, not my suggestion, I use it full strength.

16 hours ago, Mantis said:

I did everything , I cleaned them full strength, then rinse well. Then cleaned them with Tar Remover, rinsed again, then cleaned them once again 1/2 strength as the wheel and tire cleaner foams up when you cut it, there was absolutely no brown of any kind, just clean water and soap clear and white suds.

Used the Leaf blower to dry them down and let them sit outside for about an hour before I took it into the garage for it's first dressing. Didn't even bother with Tire armor my trigger is seized up and I couldn't get it to work so I just went VRT. Well it looked like it was gonna go on nice and even but it dried up, left a flat back finish with some streaks here and there. The way these tires react to dressing is like it rejects it.  I don't know if I should write to Adam's and see if they have a solution to these tires. They are the only ones in all my years of detailing and owning tires have I ever seen tires made out of rubber react like this.

I will snap some pic's so you guys can see. Maybe someone in here will have a actual solution to these tires, not a general solution as these are some strange tires.

If you let the rubber heat up in the sun as I'd suggested, the pores of the rubber opened up some and allowed the VRT to soak in. You needed to continue to reapply until the tire stops absorbing and you get your desired results. The Dressings can't be rejected off the tire, it's still there, it just needs built up.

Ok,

Thanks for all the tips and tricks. So as another follow up. I did use Wheel and Tire cleaner full strength for the first cleaning. Then I dried the tire and used the Adams Tar Remover which seemed to clean off some of the shiny clear coat looking stuff that was making the dressing very un even. Then after that cleaning I rinsed the tires down and then used my usual 50/50 cut Wheel and tire cleaner on them. I have a Adams Pump sprayer that really foams up nicely when you cut it 50/50.

This cleaning was clear, no brown , no dirt no nothing came off the tires at this point as the rubber was a clean as I could get it. I also use a Adams Tire brush for scrubbing.

They now can hold a very thin layer of VRT and they look like a flat black, not really satin like VRT usually does but if I put another layer on top, the tires do reject it. It just makes a smeary mess and I have to wipe it off. I know it sounds crazy, I have been dressing tires for over 35 years and the DWS06 are the only tires I have ever seen react to tire dressing like this.

Our other set is 2 years old, have been cleaned each week of those 2 years and they react the same exact way, actually worse. I got the new ones to at least hold a light coat of dressing and I can live with that. 

I wish you guys could fool with them yourselves so you can see how mental it feels to work with this strange compound tire. I would have returned them IF they where not as good as they are. They grip so much better then the Stock Good Year Tires and I really liked them better then the Pilot Sports we had on the S4. 

I might go back to Michelin next tire time around. My Wife's Charger has Michelin's on them and they clean up and dress perfectly with VRT.

On a side not I do have 3 other dressings from other companies and none of them work correctly either.

Here is the latest pic of where I got them.

A43EE6BB-D1E6-41D6-BABE-EC1CDE41FD90.jpeg

337119EF-C0A4-448F-93CD-58D19B753827.jpeg

As you can see from the above pic's, they are a flat back. Better looking then the dry rubber look but they only get slight tinted. The Dressing even on the first coat and then sitting in the garage overnight without driving it, all the lettering will have a dressing mess around them. I use a Adams Tire Sponge which works awesome, I have a used one and several brand new ones, I keep a few on hand. I also don't mix my dressings. I label all my Sponges and only use them with 1 tire dressing or the tire armor. I have water based and oil based dressings.

This is what it does before I wipe them down at least 8 hours later

0185F0F9-A9F7-4082-A890-E6CF002B3620.jpeg

4757FBB9-902B-454F-AC08-E549A907CA2A.jpeg

So for the sheer hell of it, it's raining all weekend so I'm most likely not going to take the car out of the garage, I put a 3rd layer on the tires and before I rub it in with a microfiber towel, I'll let it sit all day and see what happens now. I used a Tire sponge as usual to apply and I put it on thin. I use 1 to 2 lines and rub it in with the sponge and only apply more if It's not going on even.

Here is how they look after just being applied with the sponge, they will look very different later on today.

41E55A69-B3B0-4FD4-AD06-BE7D88D1EEC1.jpeg

C9431B63-A5D9-4E93-AD63-EFD6DD0685C5.jpeg

E705F03A-444C-442D-BB34-868195B28CA9.jpeg

Edited by Mantis

On 5/24/2021 at 6:30 PM, falcaineer said:

Few questions - I don't have an exact solution, sorry - you cleaned with Tire and Adhesive Remover/TAR? Have you always done that? If so, why? Is it possible it leaves a film on the tires?

No, As said above, I took that suggestion from another member. It did help as I don't plan on doing that every time I wash my car. I don't actually plan on using that method. Rubber and tire cleaner or Wheel and tire cleaner is all I should ever need to clean the tires. Honestly all  my other tires I have used VRT on, I'm able each week to just put Car Shampoo in my tire bucket and clean my wheels and tires with just a microfiber towel in the soapy solution. I have a few Barrel brushes from Adams, I have the lug nut brush but I only need to use those tools maybe once or so a month. The Micro Fiber rag, I can get in there with my hand and just use the soap and my wheels and tires stay perfectly clean and protected. The wheels are spray coated as well which makes the Brembo Brake dust a non issue. I can clean them with the same Car Shampoo and it's awesome.

Going back to the Tar remover, No it does not leave a film, I only used it once on each tire and it improve the ability of the dressing to be applied. It's not perfect but it's a lot better. I also followed up with the 50/50 cut of Wheel and tire cleaner which is how I use it on all my cars. I don't need it straight. I only used it straight the first 3 times I have cleaned these tires. They have 150 miles on them.

I have been using VRT for years and love that dressing. It's my go. Since the Graphene dressing was released, I'm wondering if i should try it out? I have 3 cars 2 with the DWS06 tires and one with Michelins which dress perfectly with VRT.

Have you guys tried it out yet?

Hi Daniel,

I've used the Graphene Tire Dressing on Michelin, Goodyear and Hanhook tires and liked the results on all three.  It doesn't have the shine of Tire Shine, but does add a bit more than VRT, giving them a new tire look.  It is also a bit easier to apply than VRT, in my opinion.

So there was a local Car Show near my house today and I had to check out all the different tires dressed. Suppirse all the Continental tires where the most un even dressed tires out of all other brands. There is something to the compound they are using or the molding process that causes this.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S on the new Vette's seem to dress just fine as well as many other brands I saw.

So I Maintenced washed my car this morning before the sun came out so I can work in the shade in my driveway. Just needed car shampoo to clean the wheels and tires, wheels are ceramic spray coated and the tires have what will stick VRT.

I think these tires will never dress the way I want them to but I can get a flat black look out of them after 2 coats and than wiping the dressing down so they don't run all over the place. I except defeat and I don't think anyone in here has experience with Extreme Contact tire and know how to get them correct. 

Maybe one day someone will see this thread and figured it out, but for now I'll just have to except that Adam's Polishes hasn't figured out these tires and what products currently or what has to be developed into a new set of products to get these tires to look show car ready. They look basically clean and track ready so I'll just live with that.

😑

Ugh... I just found this thread, and yeah, it's a continental thing.  And I hate it.  These have been fantastic tires.  Mine have ~14,000 miles on them and nothing has gotten rid of the same spots.  I'll probably sway away from Continental next set of tires because of it, unfortunately.  

IMG_4121.jpeg

IMG_4124.jpeg

Edited by galaxy

YUP, I get it and if you don't own them, you don't get it.

What I did was I took advise from another member and used Adams Tar remover. Here are the steps

1) Clean your tires until no brown comes off. I use Wheel and tire cleaner cut 50/50. I use Adams Pump sprayer. I give the tires a really good cleaning until they are perfectly clean. Usually the first scrub does the job but I check them with a second cleaning to make sure there is no Brown at all , just white clean suds.

2) I use a leaf blower to dry the tires.

3) Then I get a general purpose Microfiber , a older one I will throw away after using and Spray Adams TAR remover on it. I wear rubber gloves the whole time just saying. I wipe the effected shiny areas of the tire to wear down the clear coat like marks. It's like clear coat got on the tires and TAR removes it pretty nicely.

4) Now I apply VRT with a Adams Tire Sponge. I use very little product and enough to cover the tire but not soak it. If you soak it, the dressing will build up in the letters and then run out when you drive it. It's madness and I hate that.

5) Let first coat dry for about 15 minutes and then apply another coat. After this coat, you can walk around with another throw away Micro Fiber towel and buff the tires so no dressing is hanging out in the letters.

This procedure only has to be done once, then it's dress as normal and they are almost like normal tires. I got my tires pretty damn nice and I like the way they look now. I actually can not dress them for a few weeks and the VRT holds up nicely. I now only clean them with car Shampoo which I put in my Tire bucket and basically clean the tires with a micro fiber towel that I put in the bucket. 

My wheels are spray ceramic coated and they don't hold any brake dust week to week and I got Brembo Brakes. I can clean them with a micro fiber towel or a wheel woolly with the sam Car Shampoo in the tire bucket.

Her's the final result of how the tires look currently.  

D4677E6D-F8CF-45E0-985F-DB1CBA980E92.jpeg

@Mantis So when you say TAR, are you talking about the actual TAR remover, or Tire And Rubber cleaner?  Since you said TAR remover, I'm guessing just that?  I'll have to give that a try then.  One would think, no matter what is causing the blotchiness, after 14K miles it would be worn off by now, but maybe not.  I'll certainly give it a shot. 

Oh, and one thing I forgot to add in my previous post...the most annoying part of my situation...my rear tires are perfect.  Have been perfect since day one!  Exact same tire, just a different size...zero blotchiness.  

Edited by galaxy

10 hours ago, galaxy said:

@Mantis So when you say TAR, are you talking about the actual TAR remover, or Tire And Rubber cleaner?  Since you said TAR remover, I'm guessing just that?  I'll have to give that a try then.  One would think, no matter what is causing the blotchiness, after 14K miles it would be worn off by now, but maybe not.  I'll certainly give it a shot. 

Oh, and one thing I forgot to add in my previous post...the most annoying part of my situation...my rear tires are perfect.  Have been perfect since day one!  Exact same tire, just a different size...zero blotchiness.  

Yes the actual Tar Product from Adam's. I used Wheel and tire cleaner to get all the brown out but that didn't take the clear coat looking stuff on the tires off. How I did it was I used an old micro fiber towel and put some TAR remover on the towel and rubbed the marks on the tires. It got it off.

This is a very common issue with DWS06 tires. This is my 2nd set and no it doesn't wear off every unless you remove it. To me it looks like when they made the tires, something happens in the molding process or the they got clear coat overspray on them from someone painting something near them. If these tires didn't perform as good as they do, I would go with Michelins but I find them to be an incredible performing tire for all my needs , well except Drag Racing which for my car requires a Drag Radial.

I understand. It drove me nuts about 8 years ago or so on some DWS 06’s. I just got DWS 06+ and was immediately reminded. I thought my first Conti sidewall “wax” was a fluke, nope! This set is brand new from Continental and looks just like yours. For kicks, I asked Continental what the recommend, here’s the riveting response of wash it and wait:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at Continental Tire the Americas.

Rubber, being an organic chemical, degrades over time.  In order to slow this process, the rubber in tires contains waxes and anti-oxidants (AO’s).  The waxes form a protective barrier and the AO’s attract the oxygen that would normally attack the rubber.

After a tire is manufactured, it can be placed in a warehouse for storage until sale.  It is possible that a tire may be in storage for several years.  During that time, the AO’s and waxes are serving to keep the tire fresh. When the tire is placed in service, the used AO’s migrate to the tire’s surface and adhere to the wax coating.  This is the rusty brown color that is sometimes visible.  The presence of this color means the AO’s have done and are continuing to do their job. 

The AO’s adhere to the wax and the wax (and the used AO’s) gradually flake off as the tire flexes, however, it may take several months for the color to dissipate.  This can be encouraged by washing with a bristle brush and soapy water.  Because the waxes are not water soluble, doing so may not completely remove the discoloration.   Unfortunately, other than soap and water, we do not have a recommended product you should use. If you elect to use a product, avoid solvents and tire dressings, as they may remove the wax coating and harm the rubber in the tire.