Customer Service 866.965.0400

Newbie! And question on my first ceramic coating!

Hey new friends,

My name is Mike. I live in Springfield, MO. I am new to Adams and detailing. Looking to up my game!

I currently own a black Acura MDX and applied a ceramic coating last week. My first time. Prior to applying I did some light paint correction by using compound and polish with a polisher. I have since noticed that I didn't get all the scratches and paint dings out, although it's 100% better to my eye. Is it normal to not get every scratch out or should I have taking longer with the compounding phase? The whole job took me about 6 hours.

- Mike

Welcome to the forum Mike! :welcomebanner:  Before you do a full ceramic coating, you want your paint to be the best you can get it. Not everyone (hardly anyone) gets it right the first try.  Make sure you have really good lighting when polishing so you can see each area as you're doing it, and so you can see those smaller swirls and scratches.  Usually, it takes me two days just for the spray ceramic coating till I have all the steps completed and the coating is set.  

Welcome to the forum and Adams Products.

Not everyone gets all the scratches out. Swirls and light scratches yes but some of the deep ones you might not want to get out. You only have so much clear coat on your car. Not worth making it absolutely perfect and then have thin clear coat or basically none at all.

Buffing is an art and takes a lot of practice to get right. I suggest  picking up some panels at a junk yard and practice on them. So if you burn them up who cares your learning. Once you get your technic down , then go back and go over your personal car. You already protected it , why waste it?

Let the protection wear out, then make a decision if it's worth trying to make it better. Polish can do wonders to paint to make it look great but can't get out all the deeper stuff compound car. There is a price , remember you can cut your paint down and ruin it so practice first.

Don't know which ceramic you went with, but the Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating is a bit more forgiving than the Graphene Ceramic Coating and the UV Ceramic Coating.  Easier to use and learn with when you're just starting.  

Welcome to the Forum Mike.   I do vehicles that range from delivered right from a dealer and never touched after the factory to 50 year old vehicles.  I can tell you that that there I have yet to have one be Perfect.  As for the learning curve, it took me a few Ceramic Spray Coatings to figure out the best routine to use and now they are rather simple.  Like @RichIt usually takes me two days to complete a vehicle, I know that part of that is that I just don't have the stamina to go 10 or so hours a day anymore.

We're all here to help each other learn and improve and don't forget to post some pictures.

@mikemccraryI was in the exact same place (minus the coating) when I started 12 years ago.  Did my whole truck and realized when I was done (many hours later), that maybe could look better! 

The answer is the 'test area' - a 2' x 2' area that is indicative of the overall paint defects (usually on the hood or trunk), marked with some tape.  Work that area with compound or polish until it flashes, and compare that with the taped off area - is it the results you are looking for?  If not, do another section pass on the area.  If it is still not corrected to your expectations, then move up in aggressiveness - either a change in pad or product. 

After doing several corrections you will get an idea of a good place to start with a different car, but remember all paints are different, and ALWAYS err on the side of caution and use the least aggressive methods first.  An extra pass or 2 to remove something is wayyy cheaper than a repaint!