Customer Service 866.965.0400

OEM bumper swap

V6Bandit

Question

Hello,

I want to swap my damaged bumper with one from another car I found at a salvage yard. As long as the cars are the same year/model/paint-code then will the OEM bumper from the other car look right and blend in with the rest of my car? I'm concerned about fading and consistency between factory paint jobs. Can anyone help me out?

3 answers to this question

First, welcome! 

Swapping body panels can always be tricky, and consistency in finish difficult. If depends on so many factors like paint care, environmental conditions, storage, etc., by the previous owner(s), and in the junk yard itself. Best thing may be to take the car to the yard and check, if possible.

Depends on your car's color too.  I had a crystal red metallic Impala that was hit and repaired/ front fender and door repainted, and it didn't match at all.  They had to repaint it 3 times to get it right. But I've seen identical cars on lots that are shades off from each other.  I agree with Chris.........take your ride with you  if you can.  

A lot will Depend on how picky you are will determine if it’s acceptable to you or not. I would say unless you get lucky there will be some difference if you look hard enough but as mentioned above color also plays a factor in how well it would match.  Another option would be to look around for a cheaper bumper that may have rough paint for cheaper and I’ve seen places do decent resprays for a few hundred dollars. That may be an option to explore and they can blend it better.