Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help. Unknown paint flaw?

mikemccrary

Question

I am an amateur detailer. My compound and polish with my DA polisher didn't affect the below spot. Instead of getting too aggressive on my Acura MDX, I stopped for more research.

Do you know what causes flaws like these, how to treat them, and how to prevent more like it? I have probably half dozen spots like this on the front bumper.

Was it rock chips, acidic bug guts left untreated by the previous owner, or what?

Paint spots.jpg

3 answers to this question

It could be rock chips, but it appears more like bugs.  I'm familiar with doing vehicles out of Florida and the Love Bugs left on the vehicle will eat through the clear coat and sometimes even the paint.  Generally the Love Bugs leave a black mark and you can feel indentation with your finger nail.   I'm not sure what bugs are similar in Missouri, but that would be my first thought.  

11 hours ago, RayS said:

It could be rock chips, but it appears more like bugs.  I'm familiar with doing vehicles out of Florida and the Love Bugs left on the vehicle will eat through the clear coat and sometimes even the paint.  Generally the Love Bugs leave a black mark and you can feel indentation with your finger nail.   I'm not sure what bugs are similar in Missouri, but that would be my first thought.  

Ray, thanks! I thought the same thing. How long does it take for a bug guts to eat through the clear coat like that?