Customer Service 866.965.0400

Spot Correction after Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating?

Islander

Question

Hey Guys,

Question for those of you that use Graphene Ceramic Spray for protection?

Let's say you apply a new coat of ceramic spray (after all the required prep) and a month or two later, you get some new annoying light scratches/blemishes and don't want to wait till your next re-apolication of spray coating.

Can the light scratches be spot corrected with say a micro DA polisher and new ceramic spray applied in just a spot? What do you guys do when this happens?

Thanks!

Phil

5 answers to this question

Hi Phil,

You can correct or repair a small area if need be.  The key is to use the polisher to remove the coating and blemish, prep and apply.  I have found that if I can go to a body line, it is easier to blend in based on how long the Spray coating has been on the vehicle.  Once a Spray coating has been on the vehicle for a year, you are most likely better off redoing the vehicle instead of trying a spot repair.  

A word of advice, keep a log of what you did to the vehicle and when.  This way you can be sure to use the same product to do the repair - grabbing Graphene Ceramic Spray to repair a section of a Ceramic Spray Coated vehicle will not blend well at all.  You can get it close, but you'll also be able to see the differences.

27 minutes ago, RayS said:

Hi Phil,

You can correct or repair a small area if need be.  The key is to use the polisher to remove the coating and blemish, prep and apply.  I have found that if I can go to a body line, it is easier to blend in based on how long the Spray coating has been on the vehicle.  Once a Spray coating has been on the vehicle for a year, you are most likely better off redoing the vehicle instead of trying a spot repair.  

A word of advice, keep a log of what you did to the vehicle and when.  This way you can be sure to use the same product to do the repair - grabbing Graphene Ceramic Spray to repair a section of a Ceramic Spray Coated vehicle will not blend well at all.  You can get it close, but you'll also be able to see the differences.

Hi Ray,

Forgot to ask...when it comes time to re-apply the GSC after 1 year, or sooner, is it necessary to completely remove the old coating...will new GSC bond to a oartially remaing older GSC layer?

The time range depends on the weather, storage and maintenance of the vehicle.  A garage queen rarely used and getting regular maintenance can got way over a year between re-coats.  Whereas a daily drive in a harsh climate and little maintenance may need a re-coat in less than a year. 

In my opinion, if you are going to do a re-coat, take the time to strip, clay, polish and coat just like the first time.  The big difference is that your skills will have improved so it will look even better than the previous time you coated it.