Customer Service 866.965.0400

Final Prep for Advanced Graphene Ceramic Doating

Trap

Question

OK we're getting close to Applying the Graphene Advanced Ceramic coating. Here's what I've done so far to prepare

1-Gave the car a thorough wash

2-Used a Clay Bar on all of the glass and painted surfaces

3-Power polish all of the painted surfaces (Brand new car so will not do a full paint correction)

4-Hand polish all of the PPF that was just put on the vehicle a few days ago 

5-Clean and wipe vehicle with Adam's surface prep.

Am I missing anything or should I do something differently (will polish it tomorrow)

Must admit I am a little nervous after reading some of the problems people have had with high spotting, I will leave myself lots of time to do the actual coating.

6 answers to this question

Consider using iron Remover on the painted surfaces, and after you polish, do a thorough wipedown again with Surface Prep. Thoroughly clean any trim with TRC to get it looking great and ready for coating. Other than that, you're well on your way!

Don't worry about the high spots, they can be fixed and relatively easily. One way to try and make sure you catch them early is to coat a portion of the car, say 1/4 of it, then pull it into the sun and check. Pull it back in the garage and repeat the process. That way you aren't letting them sit for long making correction even easier. And those you do miss will just need a little more effort. Brilliant Glaze is your friend!

9 hours ago, Trap said:

OK we're getting close to Applying the Graphene Advanced Ceramic coating. Here's what I've done so far to prepare

1-Gave the car a thorough wash

2-Used a Clay Bar on all of the glass and painted surfaces

3-Power polish all of the painted surfaces (Brand new car so will not do a full paint correction)

4-Hand polish all of the PPF that was just put on the vehicle a few days ago 

5-Clean and wipe vehicle with Adam's surface prep.

Am I missing anything or should I do something differently (will polish it tomorrow)

Must admit I am a little nervous after reading some of the problems people have had with high spotting, I will leave myself lots of time to do the actual coating.

Hello,

I don't understand the comment about having a brand new car and not doing a full paint correct. A paint correct is getting out any swirls , scratches etc before you protect it. It doesn't matter if it's brand new or 40 years old. The paint condition is the paint condition. Brand new cars are swirled and scratched just like a used car.

When I purchased my car, I didn't allow the dealer to touch it. It came off the truck, went into the shop for new car inspection and then back out on the lot. I didn't allow them to clean it as they are horrible at it and usually scratch the hell out of your car. If I would have allowed them to detail it, I probably would have had to compound the entire car before I protected it.

Your concerns about applying the coating are valid. I keep reading people having issues BUT if you don't prep correctly, you are setting yourself up for failure. 

I suggest if you know any detailers, I would ask them to help you or do it for you. If you never detailed a car, ran a Buffer , did proper paint correction then I don't suggest you do this yourself. Stick to wax or spray coating. You have less of a chance messing up your car.

I say this as you made the comment about not doing a full paint correct on a new car. That didn't make any sense.

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

I say this as you made the comment about not doing a full paint correct on a new car. That didn't make any sense.

I was prepared to do the full paint correction deal, but the car's paint is surprisingly in very good shape and looks good with just the polish.  Also this will be a daily driver so want it to look good, and have it easy to maintain. 

My idea of maintaining is hand wash (2-bucket) every week or two depending how dirty, then drying using Graphene Detail Spray.

Your plan looks solid and I agree incorporating an iron remover is a good idea.  Also there is not need for a full correction.  That is a misconception.  Let your test spot tell you what needs to be done.  Paint on new cars is already thin to begin with so no need for any unnecessary work.  

Also you can lightly polish PPF by machine.  

With regards to the coating, don't let others experiences deter you away.  Take your time and have good lighting.  Once you figure out your flash time its a breeze.  Expect to have high spots especially if you are new to coatings as one tends to go heavier than normal.  

Your maintenance regiment sounds good as well.  Check out this thread for maintenance tips.  

So today I applied Adam's advanced Ceramic Coat. Took my time and have to say it was not that difficult to apply. The cooler temps in the mid 60's might have helped as it didn't flash very quickly. I am have removed it a little on the early side rather than late, but it seems to have left a really nice coat and shine. It took me around 4 hours to do the SUV, which includes all of the Glass and Plastic surfaces. I used just over 1/2 a bottle of ceramic coating.  Still have to do the rims and the front grill on another day.

Will say that everything in Adam's Kit was useful, but if I was to order again I would order a larger bottle of surface prep, I ran out before I got to the roof and the window. 

I did use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol on the roof and windows.

Want to thank al you that helped and encouraged me to try and do this. So far I would say it was a success. I was very careful with wiping and maybe wiped a little more than necessary, but I only had to redo one window, along with one high spot that I found.