Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do I get the most bang for the buck on shark grey C7?

exlr8rvette

Question

16 answers to this question

True shine comes from proper paint correction, the rest is enhancement and protection. I know you said you're not interested, but you'll get the best, most consistent results using a machine. That said Adam's does offer some options to polish by hand, and including Scratch and Swirl Remover and Hand Polish. It depends on the overall condition of the paint as well as the results you're after for which you'll need, if not both.

For the enhancement and protection, check out this article for what you may like.

"The most bang for the buck" on just about any car, including a Shark Gray C7, is found in proper cleaning, correction, and ceramic coating.  My C7Z is Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, rather than Shark Gray, but the shine shown here was accomplished with all of the above.  Limiting yourself to "hand polishing only" limits the shine you'll achieve, increases the level of effort to maintain it, and forces you to repeat the "hand polishing" process more frequently.  YMMV, but that spells low ROI to me.

20200912_104230.jpg

I am a hand polish guy.  Have tried machine which caused concern. It is not for me. I am almost 80 years old. Just curious if there are some other product I should try. Presently I clay, then use revive polish ( called something else now ...the blue polish) then buttery wax, then brillant glaze.  To refresh I use the buttery wax  then glaze. Occassionally Adams detail spray although mostly use the detail spray when wash immediately before drying.

I also tried graphene detail spray and was dissapointed with result on shark grey. My neighbor and I then tried it on blue and got great results. Also got posative results on silver Kia. Perhaps shark grey is more difficult?  I've had green, white, black and DSOM Vettes that seem shineyier than this shade of grey.

If anyone on the forum has good results handpolishing grey lets talk. Thank you

Been a hand polishing guy for years with my cars, and still am with my Vette (for the most part).  To get the biggest bang for the buck on my white Vette, I use Ceramic Paste Wax and then top it with Graphene Spray Detailer. AMAZING the way it shines, very deep and wet.  You may have had bad results with the Graphene DS because it's a different formula than Carnuba based products. Ceramics with ceramics for best results.  But like Falcaineer said, you'll never get great results without doing a proper paint correction and polishing first.  

On 10/24/2021 at 3:30 PM, exlr8rvette said:

I am a hand polish guy.  Have tried machine which caused concern. It is not for me. I am almost 80 years old. Just curious if there are some other product I should try. Presently I clay, then use revive polish ( called something else now ...the blue polish) then buttery wax, then brillant glaze.  To refresh I use the buttery wax  then glaze. Occassionally Adams detail spray although mostly use the detail spray when wash immediately before drying.

I also tried graphene detail spray and was dissapointed with result on shark grey. My neighbor and I then tried it on blue and got great results. Also got posative results on silver Kia. Perhaps shark grey is more difficult?  I've had green, white, black and DSOM Vettes that seem shineyier than this shade of grey.

If anyone on the forum has good results handpolishing grey lets talk. Thank you

Biggest question is what kind of polisher did you try? It makes a big difference. New DA polisher technology is awesome. 

1 hour ago, exlr8rvette said:

PC2474

That may be part of your problem with machine polishing.  The PC is a great entry-level unit, but it's harsh on the hands and arms, and it's a bit bulky.  As @GXPaycheck said, newer DA polishers, including those offered by Adam's, are much nicer to use and more versatile.  

Just now, 07stanggt said:

rrrrr1447790558_IMG_1087(1).thumb.JPG.ef78d20f7cc7b7772d6e766e57cb280c.JPGIMG_1179.thumb.JPG.7c294abcee9d316bf10439c6ab71d089.JPG1590564691_IMG_1431(1).thumb.JPG.01d6e52594d7c8ecfdfa4905a4737f59.JPGIMG_1505.thumb.JPG.ed9a9d9ac1eea88b2be08ad66e5d28f5.JPGIMG_4080.thumb.JPG.fbeb5d1617e5656f6346be8c8c2493a8.JPG843786125_IMG_5934(1).thumb.JPG.83e76dbcb774439b57a2c4520ab357e3.JPGIMG_1310.thumb.JPG.ae7f3632b88e4106400d8f2988795e22.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

Here are some pics of some Grey vehicles with some nice shine. BRILLIANT GLAZE, shine in a bottle !! Most toped with Americana or Buttery Wax, but the base is all about Brilliant Glaze, or can be used as a topper. Dont forget, Slick and Slide too !!

On 11/2/2021 at 9:30 AM, exlr8rvette said:

PC2474

I have one of those, have to agree it is not the best and easiest to use. It does an ok job, just not that comfortable. Wish I could justify buying a new one. But it could be a year before I would use it again.

Edited by Trap

On 11/3/2021 at 9:41 PM, Trap said:

I have one of those, have to agree it is not the best and easiest to use. It does an ok job, just not that comfortable. Wish I could justify buying a new one. But it could be a year before I would use it again.

Why a year?  You can polish any time. Take advice from me, ditch the PC.  Go with a new polisher and spare your body.  

20 hours ago, Rich said:

Why a year?  You can polish any time. Take advice from me, ditch the PC.  Go with a new polisher and spare your body.  

Rich you are starting to get hard on my wallet,I meant to say Until next year. Both vehicles have been ceramic coated for the winter, so they shouldn't need any power polishing until spring. I have been toying with the idea of ordering one, your making the decision a little easier to make.

Edited by Trap

Hi Al,

Black Friday and Cyber Monday are getting close, the sale prices may be the tipping point.  You’ll have to wait and see what shows up for the sales.  I didn’t realize how much of a difference the Swirl Killer could make until I got my first one and now I have the 15mm and 12mm and couldn’t imagine doing a vehicle without them.

54 minutes ago, RayS said:

Hi Al,

Black Friday and Cyber Monday are getting close, the sale prices may be the tipping point.  You’ll have to wait and see what shows up for the sales.  I didn’t realize how much of a difference the Swirl Killer could make until I got my first one and now I have the 15mm and 12mm and couldn’t imagine doing a vehicle without them.

Thanks Ray willl keep an eye open for the sale, may have to be my Christmas Present.