Customer Service 866.965.0400

Drying towel problem?????

Loneranger

Question

I seem to be having a dilemma. I have a black 21 Ford Ranger. Well I used a few different towels and right now the 2 I have are the jumbo plush grey towel and the white ultra plush drying towel. I use detail spray as a drying aid, I wash each towel after every use. I spray using the microfiber revitalizer and add some to the wash. It seems the jumbo plush grey towel after couple uses smears at first and eventually leaves streaks behind. The ultra plush white towel doesnt appear to leave streaks till it’s too wet. Am I missing something? Am I tripping? 

Edited by Loneranger

12 answers to this question

I want to add something as well. Speaking of drying. I feel like I have my wash routine down with the 2 bucket method being my rinse water has the dirt and my other bucket is pretty clean. so I feel new light marring I am starting to see may be from drying. I clayed and compounded and polished this truck about 2 months ago I’m just trying to fix all my issues so I’m good. 

How are you caring for your towels?  How are you washing them?  Do you use powder laundry soap or liquid?  Fabric softener?   Microfiber Towel Revitalizer?  Are you drying them in the dryer with dryer sheets?  

There really is a right and wrong way to care for your towels.  

I take the microfiber revitalizer and spray both sides of the towels I used and at first I used laundry detergent then I switched to also taking some of the revitalizer and pour into washing machine. Temp setting warm/cold. Then I stick in the dryer without sheets or anything, low heat. 

I always use the drying towel, detail spray and then give a final wipe when pretty much dry with a borderless grey towel or one of the plush 2 sided towels. If I don't do the final step once my drying towel get a little wet it will leave streaks.

Have you considered a blower to take the heavy water off first?  I have a Master Blaster, but any of them will work.  I use that for my black Equinox first, then use the Graphene DS to dry.

53 minutes ago, Loneranger said:

Never used fabric softener. I used regular laundry detergent a few times in the beginning cause I didn’t have revitalizer yet. Only the grey towel got it. The other towel has never seen laundry detergent 

I think we found the issue, especially since only the grey Jumbo Plush does it (used with regular detergent) and not the Ultra Plush (never used with regular detergent; note it does work better when a little wet). The regular detergent likely clogged the fibers, leading to streaks and inconsistent drying. Here's an article how to care for them, including how you might be able to boil it and bring it back to life...granted, you'll need a big pot 🍲😁

33 minutes ago, Loneranger said:

Totally makes sense and reading the article I realize that it does leave lint behind too so totally answered my question. So I’ll try the boil method or I’ll have to get another grey towel or a second ultra plush white towel. Thanks for the help y’all. 

Happy to help. Note that since it absorbs so much water, boiling may be next to impossible unless you have a really large pot and can keep the towel from burning at the bottom. It might be worth your while to chalk it up to lesson learned and just get a new one instead. Good luck!