Customer Service 866.965.0400

interior detailer spray vs. cleaning sprays

Bld159

Question

I'm slightly confused what the use case is for the different Interior Cleaners and how they differ from the detailer spray. When reading the product descriptions it seems most of the cleaners are all purpose, which is also what the detailer spray claims along with providing a protective coating. My guess is the" Interior Cleaners" are better for heavier dirt and grime removal? 

I've always just used the detailer spray, but curious what situation I would want to use a cleaner and what the real difference between the two product categories are? I'm typically cleaning my daily driver so I like the all-in-one aspect, curious what everyone else uses .  

5 answers to this question

I’ve used the interior detailer and have had great results. I’ve also tried the normal pink detail spray with great results but I know the interior detailer has Microban to help disinfect as well. I think either are fine and honestly I usually just mist a few sprays on a towel and wipe as I never let my interior get very dirty so this is mainly to get rid of dirt/dust that may blow in the car when driving. 

I have not tried the new interior cleaner (blue color) but on the description I know it Dan be used on carpets as well. But I would say the main difference between the detailers are they are more general maintenance vs the cleaners which is more heavy duty and meant for cleaning stains or if you spilled something. 

For anything that needs moisture to help prevent it from cracking or fading, the Leather Condition works exceptionally well.  I use it on my seats, dash, center console and arm rests.  For the vehicles that have more leather and soft door panels, it is also used there and don't forget the sun visors.

First, welcome to the forums! Be sure and post an intro so we can get to know you.

I'll try and help clear some things up...

To start, since you mentioned "detailer spray," I assume you don't mean Detail Spray, but just in case, DS is not meant as an interior cleaner. It doesn't have cleaning agents like the others do. It does, however, work really well on nav screens so that's one use.

Interior Detailer is meant for light/routine maintenance and can be used on the hard surfaces of your car like dash, door panels, etc., as well as leather and vinyl. It's not for carpet, upholstery, fabrics or glass. The Microban additive is an anti-microbial agent.

Dedicated cleaners like Leather and Interior Cleaner, and Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner are pretty specific to those types of surfaces, and while pretty gentle cleaners, can be used for heavier duty cleaning. CUC can also be used on Alcantara and suede, but sparingly and with caution.

Total Interior Cleaner has fast become one of my favorites, and can be used on pretty much anything on the interior from carpet to leather, plastic, vinyl, glass, nav screens, headliners, etc., and works well for both light and heavier duty cleaning. Essentially, as the name implies, it's a swiss army knife type of cleaner. It also adds some polymer-based protection to those surfaces. It does seem to have some odor neutralizing capabilities, but I'd have to confirm that with our chemist.

Since @RayS mentioned it, both Leather Conditioner and the Leather & Interior Dressing do have some minimal cleaning agents, but they're more for conditioning, dressing and protecting the leather/vinyl. They can also be used on plastics of your door panels, dash, etc.

A surprise entry to the interior game is, believe it or not, Tire and Rubber Cleaner. It's a phenomenal degreaser and can be used on leather, vinyl and hard surfaces to clean, especially with the Deep Clean Erasers (just be careful not to scrub too much since the erasers have some bite to them and could damage leather). Seriously, try it!

Hope that helps, but if not, keep the questions coming!

One product I forgot to mention is the All Purpose Interior Cleaning Gel. It's also a favorite of mine and can be used on pretty much everything except glass, nav screens and instrument cluster covers. It sticks well to vertical surfaces like door panels and seats because of its consistency, and can be used for both light and deep cleaning. 

I also love Total Interior Cleaner, but I will say it can be a little harsh on some plastic interior parts, turning them white if overused. Great smell !!

Never run into any issues with Interior cleaner, with or without the Microban, one of my all-time favs for sure, not as versatile but works great as well