Jump to content
Customer Service 866.965.0400
  • 0

Vinyl wrapped car - Adam's Graphene Coating 60ml


Jackie
 Share

Question

Hi. I have my Adam's Graphene coating on the way & plan to coat my vinyl wrapped car next month. I have some "general" questions. 

1) how many minutes should I leave the coating on surface before wipe them out? Please mind that I live in Malaysia.

2) is there any specific explanation on how should I prep my wrapped car before the coating process? Try to Google search & most of the preparation process showing on painted surface. Do I need to clay bar my vinyl wrap? 😱

3) can i just wash/clean my car thoroughly & just use precoat/surface prep to remove oil/grease from the surface? Without polishing etc 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Welcome to the forums, Jackie! Be sure to post a welcome message so we can get to know you. To your questions...

 

Did you get the spray or traditional form? Is it matte or gloss?

 

1) It's best to go by feel vs. time. When you can very lightly drag a plush towel across the surface and it's slick, it's too soon. When it becomes tacky and the towel catches, then it's time to remove. Higher temps and humidity will make that time go faster (it's summer there, right?), and it can be a fine line between slick and tacky, so check every 30 seconds or so. Once you do a couple panels you might have a better idea of time unless the weather changes dramatically.

2 and 3) Thoroughly wash, preferably with a Strip Wash, to remove any prior wax or sealants, dry, then use the Surface Prep. If it's matte, do not polish. If it's gloss, one quick pass max might work, but you need to be careful; skipping might be best given your experience level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Welcome to the forums, Jackie! Be sure to post a welcome message so we can get to know you. To your questions...

 

Did you get the spray or traditional form? Is it matte or gloss?

 

1) It's best to go by feel vs. time. When you can very lightly drag a plush towel across the surface and it's slick, it's too soon. When it becomes tacky and the towel catches, then it's time to remove. Higher temps and humidity will make that time go faster (it's summer there, right?), and it can be a fine line between slick and tacky, so check every 30 seconds or so. Once you do a couple panels you might have a better idea of time unless the weather changes dramatically.

2 and 3) Thoroughly wash, preferably with a Strip Wash, to remove any prior wax or sealants, dry, then use the Surface Prep. If it's matte, do not polish. If it's gloss, one quick pass max might work, but you need to be careful; skipping might be best given your experience level.

 

I bought the traditional Graphene Coating 60ml. My freshly wrapped vinyl is glossy satin. More to in between glossy & matte which is satin. Should be okay, right? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

While spray coating would've been easier, yes, you should still be ok. Make sure to shake the bottle well before use. Note that it will probably darken the color some, but it won't make it glossy (nor would spray). Be careful to apply it evenly and level completely to avoid high spots, and fix any you do have quickly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

While spray coating would've been easier, yes, you should still be ok. Make sure to shake the bottle well before use. Note that it will probably darken the color some, but it won't make it glossy (nor would spray). Be careful to apply it evenly and level completely to avoid high spots, and fix any you do have quickly. 

Noted. Thank you for your prompt reply. 

The "darkening effect" will be permanent or just for few days/months? 

After 24-36 hours, my car is ready to use or do need another day in the garage? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

The effect will be for about as long as the coating lasts, assuming routine maintenance. It's more of a richening of the color vs darkening, and more noticeable on matte, just don't want you to be surprised.

 

Wait 24 hours and indoors prior to driving or applying any toppers, then 5-7 days before washing it.

 

Post some pictures!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

The effect will be for about as long as the coating lasts, assuming routine maintenance. It's more of a richening of the color vs darkening, and more noticeable on matte, just don't want you to be surprised.

 

Wait 24 hours and indoors prior to driving or applying any toppers, then 5-7 days before washing it.

 

Post some pictures!

Another question is... 

Should I use suede towel or microfiber towel to leveling/clear the coat or both or which one is better? 

Thanks again! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

:iagree:

 

6 hours ago, Jackie said:

And... What if its raining within a week after application, some more while driving suddenly its raining? I mean after 24 hours cure time. Is it okay? 

 

 

See Chris' comments above 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
9 hours ago, Jackie said:

Another question is... 

Should I use suede towel or microfiber towel to leveling/clear the coat or both or which one is better? 

Thanks again! 

 

Suede and pretty lightly for am initial levelling, shortly after applying, then the plush towel to fully remove the residue. Short, quick wipes will remove the residue better than slow and methodical.

 

For when, not if, you get high spots, here's how to fix them. High spots are common and will look like smudges or oil slicks. They happen when the coating residue isn't fully removed.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 1/6/2022 at 6:56 PM, Jackie said:

Hi. I have my Adam's Graphene coating on the way & plan to coat my vinyl wrapped car next month. I have some "general" questions. 

1) how many minutes should I leave the coating on surface before wipe them out? Please mind that I live in Malaysia.

2) is there any specific explanation on how should I prep my wrapped car before the coating process? Try to Google search & most of the preparation process showing on painted surface. Do I need to clay bar my vinyl wrap? 😱

3) can i just wash/clean my car thoroughly & just use precoat/surface prep to remove oil/grease from the surface? Without polishing etc 

 

1. The temperature and humidity are going to dictate the flash time.  You will have to figure that out.  Apply to a certain area and time it. The coating rainbows so when it starting to dissipate that is when you want to get it off.  Longer than that and it will be more difficult to remove.  

 

2. Wash, dry, panel wipe and apply the coating.  

 

3. Yes.  You want to use a soap that contains no wax, ceramic or gloss enhancers.

 

On 1/6/2022 at 7:30 PM, Jackie said:

 

I bought the traditional Graphene Coating 60ml. My freshly wrapped vinyl is glossy satin. More to in between glossy & matte which is satin. Should be okay, right? 

 

The coating will give it a more rich appearance.  It will darken it but make it look richer but not glossy.  Here is a set of matte wheels to give you an idea.  

 

 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:10 PM, Jackie said:

Noted. Thank you for your prompt reply. 

The "darkening effect" will be permanent or just for few days/months? 

After 24-36 hours, my car is ready to use or do need another day in the garage? 

 

The enrichen look will last a long time.  Hard to say exactly how long as the climate is different for everyone. 

 

The coating needs 24 hours to cure.  After that you can drive it. 

 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:29 PM, Jackie said:

Another question is... 

Should I use suede towel or microfiber towel to leveling/clear the coat or both or which one is better? 

Thanks again! 

 

I prefer low nap pile microfiber towels.  I use 300gsm edgless towel from a well known towel company.  I find them to work better than a suede towel and super plush towel.  Again personal preference. 

 

22 hours ago, Jackie said:

And... What if its raining within a week after application, some more while driving suddenly its raining? I mean after 24 hours cure time. Is it okay? 

 

 

The coating can get wet after 24 hours.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...