Customer Service 866.965.0400

Strip wash

cfbackrow

Question

Hi I have a 2 month old Tesla model 3, I plan on applying Adams graphene ceramic to it next month when it warms up here. I have xpel ppf on the whole front end...when doing the prep can I use Adams strip wash on the ppf? The paint is real good shape so I'm not going to be polishing or clay barring it.  Besides the strip wash, and the prep that comes in the kit anything else I should do? This is my first coating and I've watched videos but am a little nervous .

4 answers to this question

Yes, Strip Wash is safe for it. I would strongly consider you at least check to see if it needs clay (I'd bet it does) and/or paint correction, even new cars need love, too! In fact, they often get contaminated while being shipped from factory and swirls while on the lot. For the need to clay, you can always try the baggy test, first rub your fingers very lightly over a clean spot on the car like the hood, then place your hand into a plastic ziplock bag and very lightly do the same thing in the same area. Those bumps that you feel are bonded contamination that will be removed with clay. Also, true shine comes from proper paint correction, the rest is enhancement and protection.

With coatings, it's vital your paint is as clean and close to perfect as you can get it because whatever is there will be locked in for years. In other words, taking a shortcuts or skipping steps can ultimately detract from the overall end result, including the coating's ability to properly bond, the longevity, overall look of the car, etc. Take the time to do all necessary things properly now and you'll get the best results in the end.

Here's an article on Graphene Ceramic coatings including how to prep and apply it. Of course, you're also more than welcome to attend our Shine Academy for in-depth instruction! Let us know if you have any more questions.

If I clay then I have to paint correct right since claying will cause micro damage?  I def don't have the time/skill to polish/correct and would have to find a detailer. which in my neck of the woods is almost as much as them doing the whole coating. :( 

12 minutes ago, cfbackrow said:

If I clay then I have to paint correct right since claying will cause micro damage?  I def don't have the time/skill to polish/correct and would have to find a detailer. which in my neck of the woods is almost as much as them doing the whole coating. :( 

Possibly, yes, it may cause micromarring in which case polishing would be needed to fix it. Ultimately it's your car and your decision, just as long as you understand the caveats. Coatings are the best protection Adam's offers, but they do come at a cost because everything is in the prep. The benefits come after it's all done.

There may be someone on here willing and able to help - where are you located?