Customer Service 866.965.0400

How can you tell if a car is ceramic coated?

UofAZCats

Question

My wife and I just bought a cherry red metallic 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee the other day.  I did the baggy test and the paint was bumpy.  I finally got a chance to wash it this morning.  I did the wheels first and they must have been coated because the brake dust just floated off.  Then as I rinsed the car so I could wash the water bead up a lot more than I get on my other cars.  This has got me thinking it might be coated, but how would I confirm that is the case?  I don't have access to the previous owner.  Does anybody have a ceramic-coating-o-meter?

5 answers to this question

On 3/20/2022 at 9:22 PM, Chris@Adams said:

Like mentioned there is no way to tell 💯. However time will tell if it’s coated or just a sealant or wax. If you are still getting crazy beading in a few months you will know.

The surface is very rough when I run my hand in a bag across the paint.  Assuming the car is ceramic coated would using a clay bar on a ceramic coating remove or degrade the coating?

44 minutes ago, UofAZCats said:

The surface is very rough when I run my hand in a bag across the paint.  Assuming the car is ceramic coated would using a clay bar on a ceramic coating remove or degrade the coating?

You can use the Fine Grade clay bar to start, it will be fine on the coating assuming one is there

15 hours ago, UofAZCats said:

Since you don't know what exactly is on the surface then why not completely start over and put the protection you want.  

Claying a coating from my experience since 2010 will induce marring and degrade the coating regardless of the abrasiveness of the clay bar. Marring is only removed by the act of polishing.