Customer Service 866.965.0400

Advanced Graphene Coating over black trim?

Brewder

Question

OK there's a ton of confusion, in my mind, about coating black plastic trim.  My experience 2+ years ago with the regular Ceramic Coating (non-advanced formula) was that is turned some of my flawless black plastic trim chalky white.

I'm about to do a full prep, one step paint correction, and coat with the Advanced formula.  

What is the ruling on the black plastic trim?  My plan is to scrub it clean with Adams trim cleaner... then is it ok to coat........or not?

//Brew

7 answers to this question

You can absolutely coat it, I've done it many times without issue. Here's the process:

- It should be completely clean and dry, and using TRC or the Trim Cleaner and an Edgeless Utility Towel(s) will work well. Wipe until the browning and oxidation is gone.

- Once clean, use Surface Prep to wipe away any remaining cleaner residue.

- Finally, coat it. Once coated, it must be wiped/levelled (probably the missing step from when you did it last time, and Adam's did mistakenly put that in the video - I think the video has since been edited). I usually only give it about 30 seconds max, even less in warmer temps and humidity, before wiping it down and leveling it with another towel. I'm also not afraid to wipe it down again a short while later just to make sure I got everything.

- Be careful while coating the paint that you do remove any coating that's accidentally applied out of turn to the trim - watch the edges. Or better yet, do the trim first since fixing it on paint is much easier, but still remember to level any accidentally applied.

Note if your trim is still coated now and still chalky, the steps above will not do much of anything, if anything at all, to improve it. In fact, it will likely further cover the already discolored surface for even longer.

I left my graphene ceramic coat on too long before wiping and it now has some streaks that I can't wipe off. This is on the glass and is visible from the outside in certain light conditions. How can I get rid of the glass streaks?

1 hour ago, uclatommy said:

I left my graphene ceramic coat on too long before wiping and it now has some streaks that I can't wipe off. This is on the glass and is visible from the outside in certain light conditions. How can I get rid of the glass streaks?

This will help you out.  It all depends on the type of ceramic product and how long it has been.

https://youtu.be/a4CJqRGtbnw