Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adams Graphene spray ceramic coating on fresh satin black wrap

DwDrummer

Question

I just had my wife brand new BMW X5 wrapped in Avery satin black and looking to add some protection without adding any gloss or changing the color of the wrap.  I have everything ready to roll on doing the CC install except I can not get a straight answer from Adams. I have been told by one person over the phone that it will add gloss/sheen to the wrap then another person telling me it will not add gloss but will darken the color lol. Has anybody here CC a satin black wrap or have any before/after pics to help me make a decision?:) 

I have some Adams matte detailer and it does not change the color or sheen of the wrap which is exactly what I want however was told it does not have any protection built in the formula. Her truck is garaged kept and does not get driven in bad weather, just trying to keep the wrap looking as new as possible.  Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated!:)

Thanks,

DW

22 answers to this question

Using Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating on matte or satin will darken and enrich the color, and may add a very slight bit of sheen, but it will not make it glossy or shiny. It will go on shiny, but don't panic, it will dry. Make sure to level it completely and pretty soon after applying, heat and humidity will speed up the flash time but I'd recommend you remove it sooner than it would be done on paint. 

Matte Detailer has a minor amount of protection, it's Detail Spray without the added shine.

Thanks Chris!

We really like the sheen the vehicle has now and would prefer not to alter it in any way if possible. If I use the matte detailer once or twice a week would that help the life of the wrap vs not using anything? 

60507D8E-90C0-4422-92E1-90D108D620B9.png

B176D27F-DFC2-4B94-A1DB-F74841763A3E.jpeg

I opened my bottle of advanced spray graphene in December, cc should still be good? Don’t want to mess up a $6K wrap lol. Also the guy at the wrap mentioned some cc can soak through and hurt the adhesion of the vinyl, has anybody heard of that happening?

The wrap has been on 1 week what should I wipe it down with before applying the graphene? Plan on doing it today. I was think of diluting some isopropyl alcohol but do not want to damage the satin wrap. 

On 6/5/2022 at 9:30 AM, DwDrummer said:

The wrap has been on 1 week what should I wipe it down with before applying the graphene? Plan on doing it today. I was think of diluting some isopropyl alcohol but do not want to damage the satin wrap. 

? Anybody?

The South Carolina heat and humidity do keep things interesting from May to October.  I've found that if I can do the final prep in the evening and them start early enough in the morning to allow a final wipe down and enough time to complete coating before the heating index will get 95, it comes out fine.   I've found that the higher humidity it more challenging that than just the temperature, but the combination of high humidity and heat push me and the chemicals past a workable state.

I finally got the chance to coat the truck yesterday afternoon since it was in the 80's, for the most part everything turned out good and didn't really change the color much at all which I'm happy with. That being said it does look like there have been some high spots left and not sure how that happened since I was  SUPER careful wiping it off with several grey borderless towel to ensure this did not happen. I tried going back over those spots with some CC but it really did not remove them, is this something that could possibly cure out? 

I had considered getting some isopropyl alcohol to see if that would possibly remove those spots then re coat the areas. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!:)

1C379828-07DE-465A-A87A-85D26C3BCEE7.jpeg

Edited by DwDrummer

High spots happen, it's the nature of coatings no matter how careful you may be. And often they're not noticable unless you pull the car outside and in overcast skies.

CC being ceramic coating? Do you have the spray coating? Of so, try and reactivate those spots and wipe away almost immediately. Brilliant Glaze may also work, just apply to those areas, rubbing with the applicator pad some, and then wipe off. 

Since it's satin wrap, light hand polishing should be a last resort but using some Polish on a Borderless Grey towel vs pad may work. You might need to use a white foam or even red pad first. Just don't be too aggressive!

Yes I’m using the Advanced graphene spray coating, I tried the reactivating approach but it did not work, actually tried several times in the same spots with no luck. I’m just afraid brilliant glaze or polish will make a permanent shiny spot. 

7 hours ago, DwDrummer said:

Yes I’m using the Advanced graphene spray coating, I tried the reactivating approach but it did not work, actually tried several times in the same spots with no luck. I’m just afraid brilliant glaze or polish will make a permanent shiny spot. 

I don't think BG would leave a permanent shiny spot, it's less aggressive than the other steps and a temporary product. Polishing might, yes, but lightly doing so with a towel may be your only remaining option short of a polishing pad. Besides,you need to get through the coating before you'll hit the wrap.

I have used BG a couple of times for high spots.  I usually go real light on the BG and sometimes it takes two or three times to going over it to fix the high spot and I use a borderless gray towel.  So far I have not had any results where you could see the difference in shine once complete. 

I was happy with the results, the graphene didn't really change the appearance just gave it a slightly darker in a good way sheen:D Most people would never know it had been coated if I did not tell them.