Customer Service 866.965.0400

Using wheel cleaner to decon ceramic coating?

HAMBO

Question

Hi Adams Forums,

My car is graphene-coated, and over the last little while it seems to have picked up some minor paint contamination (can tell from the 'baggie test'). 

I don't want to clay it, and I have already done a wash with an alkali shampoo (which helped, but didn't totally remove all the contamination). 

Would it be safe to try using Wheel Cleaner (I assume diluted 1:1) on the coating to try to decontaminate it?

Thanks!

HAMBO

Edited by HAMBO

4 answers to this question

8 hours ago, falcaineer said:

No, Wheel Cleaner isn't designed for anything more than iron removal besides cleaning aspects I know you said otherwise, but I would recommend Fine Grade Clay. Use lots of Detail Spray and go from there.

Thanks. Sorry, but couldn’t iron deposits be part of the contamination I’m feeling on the surface? That’s what I was wondering and whether to use wheel cleaner to remove it. Sorry if I’m misunderstanding. Thanks!

I have always disliked that Adams is the only company to recommend claying.  I don't care what anyone says, but claying has the potential to marr and will marr the surface.  I have experienced this with many different coatings.  Even with the so called non-abrasive clay options.  

I would recommend you go the chemical decontamination route first.  I would recommend other products in an alkaline wash, acidic wash and an iron remover.  Adams does not carry everything in their line up for these.  

5 hours ago, The Guz said:

I have always disliked that Adams is the only company to recommend claying.  I don't care what anyone says, but claying has the potential to marr and will marr the surface.  I have experienced this with many different coatings.  Even with the so called non-abrasive clay options.  

I would recommend you go the chemical decontamination route first.  I would recommend other products in an alkaline wash, acidic wash and an iron remover.  Adams does not carry everything in their line up for these.  

Kind of explains why you would polish after claying.  I still prefer clay over chemicals.