Customer Service 866.965.0400

Advanced Graphene Coating - Application

AustinLeeck

Question

SO. I bought and applied Advanced Graphene solution to my boat. Took a lot of time prepping my boat for this day (Cutting, Polishing, and Surface prep for graphene coating). I was worried about applying the coating to my boat which is white and very difficult to see the coating rainbow when it's time to buff. I called Adams support line and spoke to a gentleman who said it would not hurt the coating if I left it on upwards to 15 minutes per area I've applied the coating to. My question/concern is that after I buffed everything off, my boat is not slick like you would find after applying a wax. Running my hand across it, my hand would almost want to stick the the boat. I found it odd, but I had a friend who had the same issue with his truck. We purchased ours around the same time so maybe a bad batch? Other than that, it looks great. It'll be 24 hours cure time tomorrow and I'll throw my boat in the water to see how it works. Just looking for input from people who have applied this.

5 answers to this question

After the Graphene coating has cured go over it with Graphene Detail Spray or CS3. It will feel slick then. When I did my cars they turned out like your boats did. So I think that's normal. 

Coatings are not slick by nature.  But you should have noticed some slickness on initial wipe off as you are leveling the coating.  It won't be super slick but slick enough to tell the coating is on the surface.  Gel Coat is a bit more porous is another thing to keep in mind. 

15 minutes for the small bottle/traditional form seems excessive, even in the coldest of temps and lowest of humidity when flash times take longer. Or do you use the spray version? What were the temps humidity at the time of application? If the coating was left on for too long, it may have cured with high spots which could affect the overall feeling of the coating. 

I can say from experience that 15 minutes is far TOO long for the advanced. At least on gel coat surfaces. I just have to goo gone all of it off my boat and start over. Not happy at all for wasting $50 on this advice. Do small sections ... wait for flash and then wipe off like normal. 15 minutes ...NOPE. Maybe 55 degrees if 55 degrees outside or higher.

6 hours ago, goshnmedia said:

I can say from experience that 15 minutes is far TOO long for the advanced. At least on gel coat surfaces. I just have to goo gone all of it off my boat and start over. Not happy at all for wasting $50 on this advice. Do small sections ... wait for flash and then wipe off like normal. 15 minutes ...NOPE. Maybe 55 degrees if 55 degrees outside or higher.

Goo Gone will not remove a coating, you'll need to use a machine polisher.