Customer Service 866.965.0400

Advanced Graphene Ceramic spray on a convertible top

Skillerj7

Question

Hey everyone, so i recieved my graphene coating yesterday and it says on the bottle it can be used on convertible tops but for the life of me i cant find anything online or on other forums. has anyone used it on a vert top and can tell me the best way to apply and then remove. thanks for your time in advanced i really appreciate it.

7 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Skillerj7 said:

Hey everyone, so i recieved my graphene coating yesterday and it says on the bottle it can be used on convertible tops but for the life of me i cant find anything online or on other forums. has anyone used it on a vert top and can tell me the best way to apply and then remove. thanks for your time in advanced i really appreciate it.

Hi Matthew,

While I have not used the Advanced Graphene Coating on a convertible top or tonneau cover, I have used the Ceramic Spray and Graphene Spray coatings on both.  The results have been very good and the longevity is excellent.  There are threads from me on the Mustang, F-150 and my Colorado that show the results.

As for the application, make sure the top or cover is clean and completely dry.  Do a small section at a time applying the coating with a Gray Microfiber Applicator.  I go over the section using two patterns, north-south, east-west to make sure everything gets covered.  This is where it gets to be a bit of a challenge and that is seeing it rainbow or flash, so you need to pay attention and look from multiple angles.  

Once it flashes, then I used a borderless gray towel and vigorously go over the section.  Then start by putting the coating on the next section.  Don't try to go to fast or do too big of a section and be careful not to get the coating on anything other the top or cover itself.   Blue painters tape works well to protect the rear window on the top.

16 hours ago, Skillerj7 said:

Thanks man I really appreciate it I’ll make sure to do just that. I really appreciate the in depth response and telling me how to apply it means alot

I just can't get on board with that product on canvas.  I use the ceramics on my paint for protection, but I still use the other popular convertible top cleaner and protectant (initials are RT) and have for years.  Gives me great protection.   Not saying the ceramic won't work,  I'm just not willing to take the chance.   I haven't seen too many posts about how well it works, or longevity, or protection.  My biggest concern is that this is still fairly new and I'm wondering if over time, it may harden the fabric and crack from being put up and down. It really wasn't created for that purpose. Just my opinion.

thats fair and it had crossed my mind tbh im still a little hesitant to try lol. I like the RT stuff too its just no one carries it so i clean it and hit it with adams fabric protectant at the moment. i would just like alittle more protection out of the top but also seeing how it down almost all the time when i drive (unless its raining or under 35 degress) it would probaly not make that much of a deffernce even though its a daliy. I really appreciate your time with your response and i think ill just stick with my current routine. 

Plenty of people have used the ceramic spray coating in the facebook group with success.  On a couple live videos it was stated by the adams crew that the graphene spray coating would be fine.  It will not harden the fabric.  There is not enough solids to harden up anything.  

RT or 303 according to the type of fabric are both in my arsenal.  The pictures of the Mustang that I posted when I reconditioned the top of that were amazing and the top went from gray to black.  What the ceramic spray coating does well is repelling water, it beads and the water rolls right off.  It does add some gloss and lasts about 2 years according to whether it is always outside or in a garage.  

For a true garage queen or show car, I doubt I'd do anything to the top except keep it clean and conditioned, but for daily drivers, the ceramic spay coating works very well the on top and tonneau covers.