Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wire Wheel Protection

OhioGuy82

Question

I have a Pan America Special with laced wheels. I would like to give the wheels some protection with Graphene Ceramic Spray.

I have already coated most of the bike with great results. My question is with the application to the wheels. The spokes make it close to impossible to get an applicator through all the tight areas. I can however get the hard to reach spots with a mf towel. Is it advisable to apply the coating with an mf towel? It seems to be my only option at this point. The wheel is anodized, the spokes are zinc plated and the hub is either powder coated or a matte finish.

3 answers to this question

Be careful about coating raw metal and matte, the former can cloud up from underneath while the latter is difficult to remove high spots without some extra care/catch them early. I'd almost steer you to something like H2O Guard and Gloss every wash or two instead.

The other part about the wheels, is the rear wheel in-particular. I lube the chain with gear oil and it typically will sling on the wheel. As good as I can get the chain clean it still will sling. It’s just the nature of the beast. I am typically cleaning the rear wheel with car shampoo and Dawn Power Wash. It’s about the only thing I have found that will remove all the chain lube and grime from the wheel. After that it’s just a matte detailer. 

Is H20 Guard and Gloss resilient enough for my needs?

For the outer sections of the wheel, I would put one of the wax products on it regardless of what I had for protection on the wheel itself..  I found that Buttery wax worked well after I lubed the chain for ease of application and removal.  This would catch anything that would sling off the chain and the wax prevented the lube from bonding to the wheel.  The wax and lube was easy to remove from the wheel by using waterless wash and a throwaway towel and if that didn't do it, then Surface Prep or diluted isopropyl alcohol would.