Customer Service 866.965.0400

Had Hard is the Clear Coat

TR6speed

Question

I have a 2015 Corvette Stingray and was wondering how hard the clear coat is as far as polishing.  When I purchased the car about 2 months ago, it had been sitting at a dealership on a very heavily travel road that was near an Interstate.  It was water spotted and had a film on it.  I polished it the first time with my Adams 15mm Swirl Killer, using the one step polish and the white foam pad.  It looked a lot better, but in the sun, there were still some areas that needed more work.  

A few days later, I decided to go at it again only this time I used the One Step polish and the One step pad.  That cleared the major areas, and it looks good, but I noticed this this weekend at a show that there are still some minor swirls and fine scratches on the rear quarter panels and on the hood.  I don't like to continue to polish, but it looks as if that is my only option, and I don't want to go with the compound.  I realize it is hard to burn the paint with the random orbital, but I still feel a little concerned.  

Any ideas or pointers. I would take some pictures, but they really don't show.

2 answers to this question

What's your concern? If it's burning through, do you have a paint gauge? Given it's a late model Vette you will need one that can read ferrous and non-ferrous surfaces. They can be found on Amazon for $100-150, message me if you'd like a recommendation.

Agreed with @The Guzthat Compound is likely your next step, but you can always try another pass or two with the one step combo, just go slower and/or more pressure and/or higher machine speed. The process you'll need will vary by car so use those as a guideline.