Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sooo.....foamy wash gun or pressure washer?

BrandonL

Question

Hey guys, I'm contemplating another situation here. So I'm torn between buying the foam gun that Adam's sells here and an electric pressure washer. I used to use an electric pressure washer that my father-in-law had and it was really nice. First I would rinse, then turn on the soap dispenser and cover the car in suds, and then rinse again. All the while I never had to actually wipe the car down, it would all just come off.

Now, granted that this was a few years ago before I really knew the proper way to wash a car so I don't really know if it's safe to wash a car that way but given the choice between the two what would you choose? Do you need to scrub the car with a mitt if you use a foam gun (or really if you are using a pressure washer properly)? I'm just looking for new ways to make washing more fun and a little bit faster. Let me know what you guys think, thanks :cheers:

12 answers to this question

I use a foam cannon most of the time, which works incredibly well. However, I do use a grout sponge and detail brushes with it because, well...that's what people are paying me to do: be thorough about it. Slacking off on the wash means you're creating twice the amount of work when you go to clay the car - not to mention you'll be creating more surface marring.

My procedure goes like this: Foam cannon with soap/de-greaser mix, which I let sit for 4 to 5 minutes; Rinse with pressurized & filtered water; Foam cannon with soap; Wash using two-bucket method with grout sponges and detail brushes; Rinse with non-pressurized & filtered water.

Good info, thank you. So when you use a two bucket method do you rinse your wash pad in one bucket and suds it up in the other bucket? Would that be necessary if you used a grit guard?

Yes to both questions. Grit Guard in both buckets, no exceptions. If you want to get really weird like me; I also use 3 sponges at each wash: 1 for the top 2/3 of the car and 2 for the bottom 1/3 of the car.

I maintain a private collection for a customer in which some of the cars don't have clear coats :willy: - hence my insane washing techniques.

Wow, you are neurotic and proud ;) I'm just glad that at this point I should only be working on cars with clear coats and nothing too tricky. Sharpening my detailing skills while in school is going to have it's benefits!

not to hijack the thread, but is a foam "cannon" the type that you connect to a pressure washer? the type that leaves this really clingy foam which you then have to rinse off (i.e. it doesnt run off the surface on its own)? I've seen some YouTube footage of these and think they are awesome..

not to hijack the thread, but is a foam "cannon" the type that you connect to a pressure washer? the type that leaves this really clingy foam which you then have to rinse off (i.e. it doesnt run off the surface on its own)? I've seen some YouTube footage of these and think they are awesome..

That would be the foam cannon! Really fun to use :)

Frank, if you have used the Adams Foam gun, can you compare the soap usage to that of your foam cannon?

The soap usage on both isn't that bad at all: The cannon uses a bit more for obvious reasons, but not so much that it would cost you a small fortune in car wash solution.

I'd go with the foam gun, keep the pressure washer for undercarriage & other heavy duty stuff. Years ago I had a hack blister my paint with a pressure washer. Usually no need for that pressure.

I'll have some (foam guns) in stock soon.

Bruce

I'd go with the foam gun, keep the pressure washer for undercarriage & other heavy duty stuff. Years ago I had a hack blister my paint with a pressure washer. Usually no need for that pressure.

I'll have some (foam guns) in stock soon.

Bruce

Agreed... much safer to hit the paint with a thick lather of foam and let it dwell than to pound your paint with 1500psi of water.