Customer Service 866.965.0400

How soon can you layer MSW??

Team Adam's

Question

Since I'm starting the TBSS over from the beginning I stripped everything today and began working one panel at a time and plan on finishing off w/ MSW but I'm curious. MSW sets up and recommends a rewipe 12 hours later... can you safely layer it before those 12 hours are up or should I wait longer before applying a 2nd coat??

I've used MSW a ton, but this is my first ever attempt at back to back to back layers so Im curious if anyone has had issues going back over it prior to the 12 hours.

Just curious.

6 answers to this question

People have had different results, i.e. not having to rebuff after 12 hours, but I would wait before putting on a second coat. The purpose of the rebuff is to remove any oils that made it to the surface while the wax was setting. If you put down a second coat too early, or without rebuffing, you run the risk of trapping the oil in between the layers, which would cause the paint to look hazy in some areas.

An alternative would be MSW followed by Buttery Wax. You'll have the protection from the MSW and the deep carnauba shine from BW at the same time

Yea the oil between layers was what I was mostly curious about to see if anyone had some first hand experience. In any event I rebuffed this morning (15hour cure time) and started work on another layer of MSW... after that is done setting up I'm gonna top with buttery and maybe a layer of BSG :D

I do miss the beauty of a freshly detailed/polished black TB SS! Post up some pics when you get done!

My new silver SS just doesn't look nearly as good after detailing, but it looks better the other 99% of the time by not looking dirty 10 min after you finish. lol

Dylan,

Nice meeting you this morning, and that TBSS looks mean! Just the first coat looked great and I appreciate the pointers you gave me in techniques.

Bruce

Great meeting you too Bruce... thanks again for driving all the way out. Next time I'll meet you half way, maybe we can grab lunch and shoot the breeze some more. :cheers:

Yea the oil between layers was what I was mostly curious about to see if anyone had some first hand experience. In any event I rebuffed this morning (15hour cure time) and started work on another layer of MSW... after that is done setting up I'm gonna top with buttery and maybe a layer of BSG :D

sounds like a good plan to me:rockon: