Customer Service 866.965.0400

The worst type of thread ever.....

Cyclone

I will start with this picture...

Photo_041909_010.jpg

And I would like to say RIP to my wife's beloved '81 El Camino...

Now before you ask, here is the story.

My wife left this morning at 7:30 to go to work just like any other day. I got a phone call about 7:35 from her in a hysterical state of mind saying "I am at the corner of Bennett and 92, I wrecked my car" So me being half asleep, jumped up and grabbed a shirt and flew down there.

By the time I got there, a fire truck, 2 policeman, and witnesses were already on the scene, in a matter of 5 minutes! She was traveling through a intersection crossing Hwy 92, when another motorist flew through the red light. They met corner to corner and the damage is pretty bad.

We finally got out of the hospital (she went for a ambulance ride) at 2:00 or so. Her knees went into the dash, and her head hit the front corner of the roof. She is ok, but has some decent sized knots on her head and knees, along with some cuts and scrapes. I imagine she will not be able to walk tomorrow once the damage sets in and will most likely be out of work for a week or two.

I had the car towed back to my house and it is sitting out back. I looked it over and it isn't pretty... I already know its totaled. These are the rest of the pictures from the scene taken with my phone.

Photo_041909_001.jpg

Photo_041909_002.jpg

Photo_041909_003.jpg

Photo_041909_005.jpg

Photo_041909_006.jpg

Photo_041909_008.jpg

Photo_041909_009.jpg

Photo_041909_011.jpg

And this is what it looked like last week when I used it for the April Adam's Detail Contest

Adam%27s%20Detail%20Contest%20091%20(Large).JPG

WOW... how terrible, but look on the bright side, she made it out OK and thats what really matters. You are spot on about new plastic cars... my wife up until recently was driving the same toyota Matrix we'd had for years b/c she didnt want a new car... but with the little one riding with her all the time I insisted we get her something a little bigger w/ high IHS crash safety ratings.

Shortly after getting her a new Chevy Equinox we passed an accident on the side of the freeway where a suburban had plowed into a Matrix... seeing that car crushed to the size it was sent a chill up my spine.

Hope the wife makes a full recovery and finds something new to love as much as that El Camino... it gave its life to save hers so I'm sure that car will always have a special place in her heart.

Hope the wife makes a full recovery and finds something new to love as much as that El Camino... it gave its life to save hers so I'm sure that car will always have a special place in her heart.

Thank you Dylan... Yea, nothing will replace that El Camino to her. And thank you for what you said, almost brought a tear to me!

first off im glad she is ok and yer right she will be sore for a few days. just keep on eye on her make sure she puts ice in the knot to bring down the swelling. I hope you nail the other person for running the light its so stupid that people cant live normal lives because of idiots. Except it gives me job security (ff/emt) but when it happens to nice people like yourselves because someone has to be an idiot to save a few seconds of time I just want to slap them.

Yep... She is doing better, cars can be replaced and rebuilt but the memories of what was can not be replaced.

My wife absolutely loved this car and as Dylan said, it gave its life to save hers.

I would just like to say since our El Camino is now riding on the cloudy roads of car heaven I am happy that she went out wearing a freshly detailed Adam's coat!

We are talking about what the future will hold, and we are not 100% sure on what the next ride will be. We are thinking of getting a "terminator body" mustang (already found a nice 35th anniversary edition for $4800) and getting another El Camino to doa ground up build.

I know the car will never be the same, but there was just something about this car and the way it looked and the sound of the engine. It was a true head turner and rubber burner! I see El Camino's around here frequently but none of them could match up to ours.

On second look at those pics, are you sure it's really "totaled" (beyond the insurance definition). It looks like nothing behind the front clip is bent; modern jigs can get frames pretty straight these days... probably within spec of the older GM body-on-frame tolerances. Maybe -- just maybe -- with the right time and effort that car could be rebuilt?

Ty , I am very glad your wife is doing OK . That is the most important part . But with a head injury , PLEASE keep a close watch on her and at the slightest sign of a problem go straight to ER . The El Camino can always be replaced but not the wife . As was stated above the El may not be totaled per insurance estimate , but if it is a good body man can easily save it . I have save MUCH worse damaged vehicles .

Best of luck to your wife and her recovery . And also to you too .

Ty, there is one other type of thread that could be worse. And we're all glad that this isn't it. Give your wife our best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm sure she'll be sore for a while. But even though she's heartbroken over her car, she has much to be thankful for.

Glad she's okay. :cheers:

Sorry to hear that Cyclone....ill keep you and your wife in my prayers

It's sad when something that people work hard for is taken away by some careless idiot.....but the important thing is your wife is ok

Like everyone else said already a vehicle can be replaced....a human life cant.

OMG Ty!!!! First off...I am glad your wife was not seriously injured or worst!!

Second...I am so sorry to see this Thread.

I am not so sure that the car is a total loss. My husband is a body man and he would be able to fix that. I have seen cars much worse sitting in our garage and he pulled his frame machine out and straightened everything to perfection. He is a master at body work and I am sure that you might be able to find someone as talented as he is in your area.

I have seen him fix "train" wrecks so it might be worth you trying to find someone who can repair it for you if you truly love your car or your wife can't part with it.

If you don't want to go that route-I'd part it out and sell the parts on the internet.

Sorry to hear about the car Ty, but good news on your wife. Those are cool cars(trucks?).

The worst part was since it was Sunday you couldn't continue west on 92 and drown your sorrows in pickles, hushpuppies, and barbeque at Jimbo's!

Sorry to hear about the car Ty, but good news on your wife. Those are cool cars(trucks?).

The worst part was since it was Sunday you couldn't continue west on 92 and drown your sorrows in pickles, hushpuppies, and barbeque at Jimbo's!

Jimbo's is so-so.... I prefer Sonny's or Peebles :rockon:

Ty, sorry to read about this. Glad no one was really hurt. Just think about the physics and other variables at play here. This could have been very VERY bad for your wife if things were shifted only inches one way or the other...God id good to us, eh?

Jimbo's is so-so.... I prefer Sonny's or Peebles :rockon:

I've heard of Peebles but haven't been there yet. Jimbo's is better than the places we have in Orlando. We may have to take 'Q' discussion this over to chowhound.com or someplace like that!

Again though, glad to hear your wife is ok.

Well...

They found the other guy liable, they are covering 100% of the medical, a rental car, 60% wage reimbursement (going to fight for 100%) and sending a adjuster out tomorrow to look at the car.

Also going to a doctor appointment here in a little while today. Her knees are worse today, back and neck more severe and she has pretty bad headaches. It seems that the pain is setting in so I imagine they will do a MRI or cat scan or whatever they do and we will know more after the doc appointment.

<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________