Customer Service 866.965.0400

The worst type of thread ever.....

Cyclone

Ty I can tell you from past experience about wrecks , Please do not take anything for granted about any ache your wife may have and also ask her doctor about possible FUTURE problems from this . HIRE a lawyer to help handle this and do not rely on the insurance to treat you justly . If you do hire a lawyer , do some research and hopefully yo will not get a slug like I did . Do not make a quick settlement because many problems can arise later that are related to this accident . I know all of this from a wreck I was in 5 years ago and am still having new problems arise . I did not write this to sound like gloom and doom but just to try and help you and your wife through what can be a bad situation . DO NOT accept 60% salary , that is B/S . 100% and Pain and suffering , loss of ability and many other things , all the more reason to hire a lawyer . They will work on a contingency basis . If you were closer to me I could recommend a very good one .

All right...

Here is a update.

I appreciate the support you guys have given, along with the advice. I have a few lawyers should I need one. I am extremely analytical and well articulated so I feel I am capable of handling this by myself. I have already spoken with the agents, adjusters, representatives, and whoever else answers the phone Anyways, they of course are paying 100% of the medical, should the medical go over $35,000 then it will become a personal law suit against the guy that hit her, as his insurance coverage will run out. But they cover everything down to the mileage for the trip to the offices and such.

Once it is all said and done, I hope that there is no ill effects from this and nothing that will leave any permanent damage. With that being said, I will negotiate a fair settlement to include everything. But that will be one everything is done and we know for sure that she will be fine (with a contingency in place should a unforeseen issue arise)

Next topic...

Heather is doing better today. She had the Physical Therapy examination and starts tomorrow and will be going 3 times per week. The doctor gave her a cortisone shot yesterday and it has helped a lot with her being able to move her knees and walk (still painful though). (I know the cortisone can last up a year or so in certain cases, so trust me we will be covered if the settlement is before then)

Her CT scan came back clear so we are thankful for that. Right now it is just torn ligaments in her knees, and the obvious soft tissue damage to her keens, back & neck. The back and neck (along with the bump on the head) obviously cause headaches, which are getting better.

Ok... On to the car stuff

The adjuster came out and looked at it today. Because of the fact it is a classic car (almost 30 years old) and it is a custom this is not a "Ok Sir, its worth $XXXXX.XX" type case. He did a write up of all the "visible" damage and sent that into the office. He did not discuss the amount with me, but from what we talked about I would suspect it is around $9K - $10K.

It is now in the "Total Loss Review" and I beleive it has already been declared as a total loss. I will hopefully hear from them tomorrow after they do their research and find a "actual cash value" and have a offer to give me.

From my own research, NADA High retail value is just under $10K, Gold Book is Average $8K and High $13K. Keep in mind, our car was in excellent condition, Only 26,XXX miles, and had a whole lot of custom work done to it. Auto Trader has 20 cars for sale that I searched within like 600 miles of my location. The median price for them is right at $10K, again, the average 10K car does not include what ours had. Now of course I am not looking to rip anybody off, but I want to be treated fairly as well. I will be negotiating to get between $12K & $15K

Now, here is the good stuff

Heather has made her plans official. We are in the market for a '99 - '04 Terminator Body Mustang for her to cruise in as a daily driver. We will then try and find another salvage El Camino for me to spend the next couple years doing a full ground up resto mod build. Obviously it will take everything we are getting back from this and then some, but it will be well worth it in the end. With this she has also given me the approval to add onto my shop with a 20x20 (trying for a 20x30) concrete pad and eventually build a carport over it. This will also include a lift sooner or later (craigslist has them used for $500 - $1000 and my Mother works for a distribution company that sells everything you need to run a auto shop, so I can get a deal there as well)

So... Thinks are looking on the up & up so far. Hopefully tomorrow will bring good news regarding the offering on the car being totaled and I will not have to fight to much.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update to this...

Heather is out of work currently until June 17th!!! 2 months total from the accident!

This really took a toll on us more than expected. The hardest part right now getting her rides from appointments to therapy and such. She is still not really comfortable driving, not to mention the medication she is on.

We are hoping to here something this week on the value of the car though. They gave me a number last Tuesday and I declined. Turns out they did not have half of the modifications listed for the car and were not comparing it fairly.

I have found 2 Mustangs that we are really interested in, and hopefully they are not gone before this gets settled.

The Doc does not foresee any type of long term damage at this point I don't think. We are sorta just playing a wait and see game going through the physical therapy. They say only time will heal it and show if there is going to be permanent damage or not. He said everything should clear up in 8 - 12 weeks total if there is nothing major, right now we are on week 3

Edited by Junkman2008

Thanks for the update Ty. Keep tough with the insurance and don't settle till you get what you deserve. Glad Heather is doing well. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

Hey Ty, this is my first time seeing this! WOW! Man, I'm glad your wife is okay! The other car had to be in worse shape than this. That was a metal car! Man, glad you made out okay. Sorry to hear the news. That was a beauty you had there.

My fiance lost her job when her company closed the store she managed. It's nice coming home to a meal at night...

lol

Good luck!

Chris