Customer Service 866.965.0400

Minimum prep for Advanced Graphene spray coating

rrmccabe

Question

Just bought a new 2024 LTZ with the Radiant Red Tintcoat.  Out of all the coatings I have used, I have really liked the Advanced Graphene spray coating the best.  I am planning on coating the paint but really don't want to do my normal pain correction, etc.  I am afraid if i made it any shinier it would show GMs orange peel even more :)

Thinking about just strip washing it, dousing it down with Iron remover a couple times and then good wipe down with IPA. Part of me wants to clay it but not without following up with the Rupes.

Have never had the opportunity to coat a new vehicle so thought I would run it by you guys.

Rich

20240705_141245.jpg

4 answers to this question

Remember, true shine comes from proper paint correction, the rest is enhancement and protection. If you can live with the overall looks, go for it. Although I would also consider claying it.

I am happy with the shine.  I could go down the rabbit hole with this thing as I feel buffing is a waste without sanding it to remove some orange peel. I just cant bring myself to do that. So I am more after the protection.  I hate to clay and not polish after but maybe a fine clay would be OK.  Chris as always appreciate your response.

Rich

Hi Rich,
I've done my share of GM/Chevy red vehicles right from the factory and that were sitting on dealer lots.  Most only required minimal correction, unless the dealer ran it through a bunch of automatic car washes and gave it the dealer enhancement of swirls.

I have been been able to use the follow to prep the vehicle:

Strip wash
Iron remover

baggy test for whether or not you need to clay, all some or none. You may need to clay the fenders behind the tires and and maybe the front of the hood and roof above the windshield.  The baggy test will show you the areas and usually the fine grade clay will do and it limits the level of further correction.

You may also find some places that might need some Revive Hand Polish with an Orange hand pad and it is possible you may need to machine correct some areas.  A worn out white pad with One Step, not the wool pad, can provide a mix in between Compound and Polish for those "do I or don't I" need to correct this area.

Once you have completed the steps above, then get a good white pad and the polish with plenty of detail spray and go over the entire truck.  You should be able to see any areas that need additional work and finally hit it with Surface Prep and the coating.

Good luck and welcome to the Red Truck family.

Thanks for the advice.  I have went over it with my detailing light and I dont see any damage.  Just not the smoothest paint job I have seen  :)   Just need to get it protected.

Eventually, I might consider coating the rims with something different.  I just have no had any success with that in Iowa winters. I don't think it really helped at all.