Customer Service 866.965.0400

Keyed car scratch removal advice - Junkman

jlevatino1122

Question

Hey Junkman! I have taken a few pictures of the damage. I appreciate your advice on this project. These are some scratches on the hood and the drivers door. The scratches on the passenger side are all basically the same as these

Thanks,

Joe

Here are a couple of pics... im having some technical difficulties getting the other 2 i took off of my phone as they will not send...

15 answers to this question

Oh, man, that's nasty. Sorry that your first visit to the forum has to be with that kind of trouble. But if anyone here is going to be able to help you out, it's the Junkman. :cheers:

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you have some success with those scratches.

Rich

I am no pro but I beleive those type of scratches are so deep that you maybe only be able to round them out and make them less noticeable. Wetsanding may even be dangerous as the marks so are so deep through the clear/paint. Good luck though.

There's sheet metal showing: repaint

Wet sanding and polishing will help some of those a little bit, but they're really too deep to do anything about. It's terrible that there are people out there that have absolutely no respect for the property of others :(

Thanks guys for the replies. He was wondering if he could block off the area and paint it. However, upon seeing the damage, I can see that it is not going to work the way he is thinking.

Here's the deal Joe, the way that your door should be painted if done right is to paint the whole door. The reason is because of what you are going to have to pay, you may as well take care of the edge of the door too. Because you are going to have to paint the whole door, they are going to have to blend paint into that rear area next to the door, and then clear the rest of that rear area (I don't know if that is a 2 or 4 door Jeep so they may only need to clear the rest of that door if that is what that is).

This will be more expensive but that is the correct way to do it. Because the scratched area is so large, if they just do the door, you will end up with 2 tones of blue which will easily be seen where the doors meet. That is the way crappy paint shops do things.

In most cases with deep scratches you should usually just shoot for a "good save." Repaint normally results in a great looking spot with little to no orange peel surrounded by acres of factory orange peel.

Let's work on minimizing the visibility of those scratches rather than have you have one perfect door surrounded by faded paint. :cheers:

In most cases with deep scratches you should usually just shoot for a "good save." Repaint normally results in a great looking spot with little to no orange peel surrounded by acres of factory orange peel.

Let's work on minimizing the visibility of those scratches rather than have you have one perfect door surrounded by faded paint. :cheers:

I don't think that there is no saving that door. That looks like the Titanic going down with the band playing! :D

You maybe touched on something he should do, though - wash, clay, and polish out the car before going to the body shop. That might help them get a better color match out of it.

Yeah... J/M is right here... Take lower trim off repaint entire door and reinstall.

THEN... Correct the rest of the paint of the car to match the new door.

Or... Correct the paint BEFORE repainting to make sure the new paint matches the corrected paint.

Yeah... J/M is right here... Take lower trim off repaint entire door and reinstall.

THEN... Correct the rest of the paint of the car to match the new door.

Or... Correct the paint BEFORE repainting to make sure the new paint matches the corrected paint.

That's what I'm thinking.

Hey everyone. I really appreciate your advice, thanks a lot. I'm a little torn between investing some money and getting the whole car repainted professionally or just doing some work on the scratches to minimize the shallow ones. The car is pushing 9 years old and is by no means a show car, so I dunno if its worth the investment. If I do decide to gt it repainted (which I am leaning towards) I may try to work on it first for some experience since they will be sanding the scratches down anyway. Once the weather gets nicer this weekend I'll make my decision.

Thanks again!!!