Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adam's Impostor

I came across this at my local Pep Boys. They stole Adam's "Pink Detail Spray" :help:. However, it doesn't smell like Adams at all it's grose.

autogeek_2048_80854500

This company has only been around for 5 years. That's about half as long as Adams has been around for. Can you trademark a color?

Edited by Devin04

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We come across this constantly. Legally, you can't trademark color, smell, taste, and in most cases name. For example, no one can trademark "wax" because it's an industry term. Buttery Wax though we can trademark - which of course we've done.

How do we look at it? Bring it on! Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery and if everyone is trying to mimic our product then we must be doing something right!

The man behind Surf City Garage is actually a real estate investor who obviously has some spare time on his hands. Well, welcome to the industry we say and we will be happy to continue leading the gang in customer service. :cheers:

We come across this constantly. Legally, you can't trademark color, smell, taste, and in most cases name. For example, no one can trademark "wax" because it's an industry term. Buttery Wax though we can trademark - which of course we've done.

How do we look at it? Bring it on! Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery and if everyone is trying to mimic our product then we must be doing something right!

The man behind Surf City Garage is actually a real estate investor who obviously has some spare time on his hands. Well, welcome to the industry we say and we will be happy to continue leading the gang in customer service. :cheers:

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

BTW funny avatar Jason.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I actually got a demo package of their products a while back when they were making a big push in the market/trying to get positive press out there from detailers... most of their stuff I was not all that impressed with. A couple of the products were OK, but nothing I'd continue to pay for/use.

I had no idea they were at Pep Boys now... should be right at home with the rest of the OTC junk :lol:

There are aren't that many companies in the U.S. that manufacture car car chemicals: it's entirely possible that this stuff and Adam's have the same "base" ingredients because they use the same chemical supplier (it's happens quite a lot in the industry). It's things like polymer content/mixture that set apart the good products from the average products, even though they may appear the same on the outside.

And Dylan is right on the mark: Their stuff is average at best. I tried their tire shine out - I drove to my friends house to ask his opinion and by the time I got there it was worn off :lol:

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

I meant no disrespect to Surf City Garage. I just remember hearing people say they have never seen another pink DS before and after I thought about it I haven't either. So when I came across this in Pep Boys I was shocked. Since they are located in CA and I live in MD this is the first I've seen of them. They just moved into Pep Boys a few months ago.

What they will find by moving into Pep Boys is the reason us and the other higher end companies refuse to be OTC products in major retailers:

The retailers will continue to ask for larger and larger discounts that will require the car care product company to cut their costs - meaning a reduction in quality of the product.

It's basically the Wal-Mart effect.

What they will find by moving into Pep Boys is the reason us and the other higher end companies refuse to be OTC products in major retailers:

The retailers will continue to ask for larger and larger discounts that will require the car care product company to cut their costs - meaning a reduction in quality of the product.

It's basically the Wal-Mart effect.

I under stand the reason and if quality would went down that would be a bad thing i just wish you could have it at a major cain.

Problem with that also is that a major chain won't be able to demonstrate the product or host an event like a dealer can. Summit-Racing is about as big of a dealer as we will get and still be happy.

Never thought about demonstrating the product. That is the way you sell the products. If the person does not know if it works good they would not buy it.

Edited by b_pappy

Never thought about demonstrating the product. That is the way you sell the products. If the person does not know if it works good they would not buy it.

Correct. We love PROVING our claims :cheers:

I'm glad Wal*mart doesn't sell Adam's stuff.

And they never will! Trust me, no one on this forum has a car worth so little that they should look to Wal-Mark to maintain it! Everyone here, and I mean EVERYONE, is here because to them it's more than a car.

That is one place that should never touch adams supplys

Don't worry - no plans for them to do so!

Correct. We love PROVING our claims :cheers:

And they never will! Trust me, no one on this forum has a car worth so little that they should look to Wal-Mark to maintain it! Everyone here, and I mean EVERYONE, is here because to them it's more than a car.

Don't worry - no plans for them to do so!

right on

Summit Racing sells your stuff?

:cheers:

Summit Racing Equipment

20 King Mill Road

McDonough, GA 30253

Phone: 770-288-3201

Sales@SummitRacing.com

http://www.SummitRacing.com'>http://www.SummitRacing.com'>http://www.SummitRacing.com

Summit Racing Equipment

960 East Glendale Ave

Sparks, NV 89431

Phone: 775-352-8787

Sales@SummitRacing.com

http://www.SummitRacing.com

Summit Racing Equipment

800-230-3030 - Order Line

1200 Southeast Ave

Tallmadge, OH 44278

Phone: 330-630-0250

sales@SummitRacing.com

http://www.SummitRacing.com

As it was said earlier in the thread, there's not very many chemical companies in the US making car care products. Most of them come from the same company. I believe it's Chemical Guys that you can actually name and design your own labels and distribute the products (buying a product that is actually chemical guys but called something else). And I have actually seen a variety of companies selling products with the same name (Buttery Wax) and description. I also believe that it is Warner Chemical that Adam's associates with.

As it was said earlier in the thread, there's not very many chemical companies in the US making car care products. Most of them come from the same company. I believe it's Chemical Guys that you can actually name and design your own labels and distribute the products (buying a product that is actually chemical guys but called something else). And I have actually seen a variety of companies selling products with the same name (Buttery Wax) and description. I also believe that it is Warner Chemical that Adam's associates with.

It is Warner: They, much like Verizon, control the universe.