Jump to content
Customer Service 866.965.0400
  • 0

Lets talk flaws


xlr8rvette
 Share

Question

I'm new to machine polishing. Have been working on black C6 Vette for past 2 months. During process have created and worked thru a few noob problems. Thus far have washed, clayed. applied SHR and Machine Polish (16 hours), developed some hazing problems and have been resolving with Leo Chan, Adams distributer. Now going to Hawaii for 2 weeks. When return want to finish. Plan is to complete process with glaze, machine wax and maybe buttery wax. Then look at and address any weak areas.

 

The point is that as I proceed I keep noticing areas not up to my expectations. Thus I need to complete the total process then examine and address isolated areas or else will never finish. Is this normal (kind of) or am I going wacko?

 

The second part is that while I have taken photos , could send if knew how, and they would look beautiful, I still know where all the flaws are and am not satisfied. Is this normal? My grandson once said "its only a car grandpa"! Is it or have I developed some illness?? Anyone else got this dicease? Where are the hidden flaws on your car??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

The hidden flaws on a C5 are the same as a C6 - the rear end. Normal every day driving kicks up dust and debris which settles in the recessed tail light housings. I have to constantly pull out my tail lights (luckily just 2 screws), clean the area around, reapply wax (to prevent scratching the clear coat) and then reinstall the tail lights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

The pursuit of perfection is a journey into the deepest darkest part of madness you will ever hope to find. Trust me... you can waste your life chasing "perfection" in your finish. What you need to decide is what is your acceptable level of appearance, how do you maintain that level, and stick with it.

 

As someone who charges for detail work I have spent far too much time on my own vehicles trying to get every last little imperfection out of the paint. One day I realized I was wasting my time... theres always gonna be one more swirl, one more speck of dirt, one more spot that isn't right.

 

I say get it to a point where the flaws are barely noticeable and get out there and enjoy the car. You spend too much time working out imperfections the joys of actually DRIVING the car will be lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

When using a Porter Cable, you can't walk into it expecting 100% correction - the machine isn't powerful enough to give you that. You can get pretty darn close with enough time and effort, though.

 

What you're going through is pretty natural (you want to see 100% perfection), but like Dylan said...just get out and drive! Set a reasonable goal for yourself - 80% is definitely attainable for you and with that, the car will look brilliant!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
The pursuit of perfection is a journey into the deepest darkest part of madness you will ever hope to find. Trust me... you can waste your life chasing "perfection" in your finish. What you need to decide is what is your acceptable level of appearance, how do you maintain that level, and stick with it.

 

As someone who charges for detail work I have spent far too much time on my own vehicles trying to get every last little imperfection out of the paint. One day I realized I was wasting my time... theres always gonna be one more swirl, one more speck of dirt, one more spot that isn't right.

 

I say get it to a point where the flaws are barely noticeable and get out there and enjoy the car. You spend too much time working out imperfections the joys of actually DRIVING the car will be lost.

 

 

Perfectly stated! It took me a long time to come to this realization, but I am much happier now that I have. I love to see a 'perfect' showroom finish, but that's just not practical for me. I have too many other things to do to spend every free hour chasing swirls and webs. I use the 80/20 rule here - get to a point where the finish is 80% the way you want it, and learn to get over the other 20%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Perfectly stated! It took me a long time to come to this realization, but I am much happier now that I have. I love to see a 'perfect' showroom finish, but that's just not practical for me. I have too many other things to do to spend every free hour chasing swirls and webs. I use the 80/20 rule here - get to a point where the finish is 80% the way you want it, and learn to get over the other 20%.

 

:iagree:

 

Not to mention its almost IMPOSSIBLE to keep something at 100% if you drive it with any regularity. After spending 2 days correcting the damage done to my door and fender by a careless individual it took all of 2 days before the 20's had slung dirt up one of the fenders and a bird did its business on the roof. :willy:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
When using a Porter Cable, you can't walk into it expecting 100% correction - the machine isn't powerful enough to give you that. You can get pretty darn close with enough time and effort, though.

 

What you're going through is pretty natural (you want to see 100% perfection), but like Dylan said...just get out and drive! Set a reasonable goal for yourself - 80% is definitely attainable for you and with that, the car will look brilliant!

 

I respectfully disagree. You can achieve perfection if you are willing to put in the time. As long as your damage is not through the clear coat, it can be fixed. It may take a while but practice makes perfect.

 

My learning routine was unreal. I would go into the garage and buff all day and through the night. Some days, I would see my neighbor come home from work and leave for work the next day. He thought I had lost my mind, but practice made perfect. Maybe I have lost my mind but now I can do this:

 

Before...

 

blackcar_damage.jpg

 

After:

 

blackcar_fixed.jpg

 

Shocked Adam's customer...

 

blackcar_fixed2.jpg

 

Happy Adam's customer...

 

blackcar_fixed3.jpg

 

blackcar_fixed4.jpg

 

blackcar_fixed5.jpg

 

blackcar_fixed6.jpg

 

It can be done.

Edited by Junkman2008
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
I respectfully disagree. You can achieve perfection if you are willing to put in the time.

 

I'll meet you halfway :thumbsup: The crux of the last few posts was striking a balance between polishing time and actually using the car. I could walk to Toronto - if I had the time. You can get a great finish with a PC - with enough time. A 100% with a PC on a garage queen - yes. A 100% with a PC using polishes that contain fillers - yes. A 100% with a PC on a daily driven car - no. Examine your finishes with Xenon and/or an LED light instead of a halogen and you can clearly see what a PC can and can't do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
The pursuit of perfection is a journey into the deepest darkest part of madness you will ever hope to find. Trust me... you can waste your life chasing "perfection" in your finish. What you need to decide is what is your acceptable level of appearance, how do you maintain that level, and stick with it.

 

As someone who charges for detail work I have spent far too much time on my own vehicles trying to get every last little imperfection out of the paint. One day I realized I was wasting my time... theres always gonna be one more swirl, one more speck of dirt, one more spot that isn't right.

 

I say get it to a point where the flaws are barely noticeable and get out there and enjoy the car. You spend too much time working out imperfections the joys of actually DRIVING the car will be lost.

 

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Big butts? Y'all wanna talk about big butts? Mine kicks so much dirt up, that they put a wiper on the rear:glasses:. It's so bad that I NEED to take detail spray with me when I go to the local car shows...... 2.4 miles away:eek:

I also subscribe to the 80/20 rule. Most people (customers) can't tell the difference between 80% and 100%

 

Honey, does my butt make this road look small?

100_0576.jpg

100_1236.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...