Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay bar question

livingwater

Question

7 answers to this question

1. How often does a vehicle need to be clayed?

2. If I'm planning to use swirl & Haze remover do I still have to clay first?

"The daily driver has never been clayed"

1. A car should be clayed whenever you have the intention of machine polishing it. Claying more often than is needed will cause surface marring and ultimately create more work for you. It will also cause hazing and remove wax and sealants - so keep that in mind as well.

2. If you're using any kind of polish, you always want to clay first. Using a machine polisher (even a PC) without claying can axe your paint work very fast. And then you'll cry...a lot.

How often you clay has different variables; garage queens less, DD more, your environment, etc.

But I will never clay a car that wasn't going to be machined afterwards. I've never done a clay job where there wasn't some micro-marring, it's inevitable, and good lights will tell the story.

Do the plastic bag test. If you feel the grit through the plastic bag, then give it a good claying. I do my polishing by hand and use the clay once a spring on the Vette (my fun car) and was using it 2X a year on my dd. You don't have to use a machine to detail your car. Old wives tale. :2thumbs:

How often you clay has different variables; garage queens less, DD more, your environment, etc.

But I will never clay a car that wasn't going to be machined afterward. I've never done a clay job where there wasn't some micro-marring, it's inevitable, and good lights will tell the story.

:iagree:

It totally depends on whether or not your paint needs this treatment. A lot of folks clay their finish without understanding why. They have heard that it is a good thing to do so they do it frequently. I have clayed the finish on my Corvette once in almost three years, however, the car is garaged and I take very good care of the finish. Contaminates don't get an opportunity to settle on the car for more than a day or so. Thus, the finish is never gritty. My daily driver on the other hand could probably use a claying once every 4-5 months, but I don't even wash that car so it is inevitable.

As was suggested, do the baggy test. If your finish is gritty, it needs to be clayed. If not, don't waste the time or energy. You are just creating work.

It totally depends on whether or not your paint needs this treatment. A lot of folks clay their finish without understanding why. They have heard that it is a good thing to do so they do it frequently. I have clayed the finish on my Corvette once in almost three years, however, the car is garaged and I take very good care of the finish. Contaminates don't get an opportunity to settle on the car for more than a day or so. Thus, the finish is never gritty. My daily driver on the other hand could probably use a claying once every 4-5 months, but I don't even wash that car so it is inevitable.

As was suggested, do the baggy test. If your finish is gritty, it needs to be clayed. If not, don't waste the time or energy. You are just creating work.