Customer Service 866.965.0400

Drag Strip Help!?

6spdg37s

Okay Guys! so i got a question or two about drag racing. looking for some tips and suggestions. Ill admit when i need help with something and thsi is one of those things. Now ive raced before just not on a "track" persay but regardless. Im nervous about looking like a NEWB on the track running cause theres generally a huge crowd and cause its close to my house chances are people know me there.

Questions:

How do u know when you crossed over the 1/4 mile marker?

When you cross over the pre-stage line u move to stage line..what light on the tree do u go at cause i heard ur bodys raection time is slower than the lights??

basicially if someone wants to give me a min DIY that'd be much appreciated! :help:

At some tracks there are lights and a line at the end of the quarter. Some have markers on the wall also. Since it takes your body and the car so long to react you're going to want to leave around the time the last yellow bulb begins to illuminate before the green. :burnout:

At our dragstrip there is an actual line over the lanes and lights.

Most people are slower than the tree so normally if you go at the last yellow light you have enough time to react and not enough time to break out.

I love the dragstrip!!! Its fun and its legal!! :thumbsup:

Both above posters have given you good info. Yes, either a light, line, or combo of the two at the end of the track will let you know when it's OK to back off the throttle.

When in the staging beams, you will go pre-stage (1st light), stage (2nd light), and then your 'countdown' lights begin. As mentioned above, try to leave before you see the green light come on for the best reaction time.

Don't worry and be nervous, just have a great time, take some pics and videos and let us know how you do!

What car are you going to run?

Drop it on the 3rd light just like everyone else here says. Also test out how sticky the track is. First time i went to our track it was slicker than the street. Made an *** out of myself by frying my tires through first gear and getting a 2.52 60 foot time.

thanks for the info guys...im gonna run the viper, jeffs gonna run the chally srt-8, my boy is gona run his evo 9 pushin like 20-30 lbs boost. idk when were goin yet we were gonna do this friday but rain is scheduled for NJ :( hopefully sometime soon

ive spent alota time at the track just never raced on it before if that makes ne sense lol

^^ LOL what a priceless video, almost as good as this one...

*warning strong language

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqgsjO6mOA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqgsjO6mOA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here are a few tips and rules to go by for when you go to the track for the first time.

Everyone that wants to race should try to get there hands on an NHRA or IHRA rule book before going to the track..

Make sure you have along a shirt with sleeves, long pants and shoes. Check: that your seat belts works, all the fluids, tires, check for leaks, ect, etc before you leave your house. If you have a rag top or if you think your car will go 13.9 or faster bring a LEGAL helmet, like a SA2005 rated helmet. Some individual tracks require a helmet no matter your speed. Know your track rules.

When you first pull in and pay, ask where tech inspection is and when it opens. Go there before the required time and wait. If your car is fairly stock or does not have a lot done they will just make sure the battery is held down good and that the car is safe. Things like good tires, no leaks ect etc. Take all loose junk out of the car, to include anything in the trunk/hatch area (speaker boxes need to be secured or removed), before you go to tech inspection.

If you car has a lot done and you have an idea of what it will run, make sure you have all the appropriate safety gear.

Most tracks after tech inspection will then write a number on your car so they can keep track of your runs.

GO PARK YOU CAR! TURN OFF YOU’RE A/C AND DO NOT TURN IT ON UNTIL YOU LEAVE THE TRACK, this will keep you from dripping water on the track surface.

Sit up in the stands and watch. Notice how people go to the staging lanes, pull up to the starting line, pull off the track at the end of the run, and where you get your time slip.

After you have a good feel of things, get your car and pull into the staging lanes. Don’t leave your car while in the staging lanes.

When the person before you gets ready to run the guy at the tree will signal him forward. Pull up and stop were he was parked and wait your turn. You should have already turned off the stereo and roll up the windows. Make sure you have your helmet on and seat belt fastened.

Wait until you are signaled to pull forward. Never start your burn out until you are either signal by the track officials or the racers have already left the line. If you are on street tires, DRIVE AROUND THE WATER BOX (the water box area is the area where you smoke the tires) and back up into it. At most tracks, if you drive threw the water box the track people and the racers will not like you because while you are staging the water will run off your front tires on the staging area. This can make the track slick . That’s not good.

On the burn out, if you are on street tires just smoke them enough to clean the dust off of them or smoke them good for a show for the crowd. Its up to you.

Up ahead on the ground you will notice two holes next to each other in the walls (should have noticed this when you were in the stands). Pull up to the first one until the first set of top lights come on (this is pre-staging). Then pull up until you turn on the next set (you are fully staged). Once you do this be ready to race. DO NOT PULL ALL THE WAY UP TO THE TREE. You do not want to pre-stage and than stage all in motion. You pre-stage, than the other racer pre-stages; you stage and than the other racer stages. You get the idea.

When the lights come on go when its green. Don't try to go on the last yellow to get a good reaction time. No REAL racer will laugh at you for having a bad one. After a few runs you can start going on the last yellow when your nerves calm down.

Whatever side the turnoff is on, that racer has the right-of-way (turnoff on the right, the car in the right lane has the right-of-way). Unless you are WAY ahead of someone in the shutdown area (example a 12 second car beats an 18 second car, and even then be careful), don't cross in front of someone because you THINK they can slow down and follow you. They may have a problem (example NO BRAKES!) and can't stop in time. DO NOT RACE THE OTHER RACER TO THE EXIT!! There has been many an accident when people don't yield the right-of-way at a track. Best advice on this: ask the track's tech department or staging director before you make a pass.

Pull up to the person handing out the time slips. When you take the slip - thank them!

Put the slip down until you get back to the pits or staging lanes and look at it then. Don't look at slip (if you can) while sitting at the shack because people will be coming up behind to get their time slip.

Get back in the lanes when you are ready and do it all over again.

If after a few runs and the car is not hooking, you may want to drop the air pressure in your rear tries. You can start dropping one pound in each tire per run. Keep going until your times stop improving.

WARNING: DOING THIS DOES AFFECT YOUR HANDLING IN CORNERS. AIR YOUR TIRES BACK UP BEFORE YOU GO HOME! There is usually an air compressor at every track. Just ask were it is.

Its one thing if a rear end breaks but if you are worried about your car springing a leak or blowing fluids all over the track LEAVE IT AT HOME UNTIL IT’S FIXED. This keeps you and other racers safe.

Don't worry about making a mistake. If you go on a street night, most of the track workers know that most people there don't have a lot of race-time under their belt and are normally glad to help.

Great post by Jason. Also be sure to clean all the stuff out of your car and don't be afraid to ask officials and other racers if you don't know what to do. They are there to help and everyone was a noobie once so most other racers are glad to answer a quick question or two.

Also if you are in the Viper I suggest take it easy the first run just to get the feel for what it's like driving on a track. The car is going to hook alot different then on the street and you will also want to find the groove on the first run just to get a feel for what that's like. Then on the second run give it the beans.

Great post by Jason. Also be sure to clean all the stuff out of your car and don't be afraid to ask officials and other racers if you don't know what to do. They are there to help and everyone was a noobie once so most other racers are glad to answer a quick question or two.

Also if you are in the Viper I suggest take it easy the first run just to get the feel for what it's like driving on a track. The car is going to hook alot different then on the street and you will also want to find the groove on the first run just to get a feel for what that's like. Then on the second run give it the beans.

:iagree::burnout: Practice a couple times launching and don't get carried away. Vipers have a lot of snort. We're not saying you aren't a good driver but be careful.

yea that was def my plan...and or run my G a few times...and as far as launching ive practiced that already i got everything down im just worried about the organization of running n not lookin like an a-hole

I really can see where you are coming from but after one pass you pretty much get it down. I remember my first time at the drag strip like it was yesterday and how nervous I was. It's really a lot easier when you get out there. Launching on the street is much different than the track btw. Tracks differ from oneanother also and even differ from day to day. SIR (Seattle International Raceway) has had some no-traction days and some grip it and rip it days. Track prep is very important. Hope you have good track prep! :2thumbs:

I agree with everything Jason said!

But Jason why do you say not leave on the 3rd yellow?

That's from a sticky on a g8 forum, it's meant more for a test-n-tune run and reaction time means nothing in that case. You don't need to try and be John Force your first pass. The timer doesn't start until you leave the staging lights and it's a Viper for crying out loud, I would hope you could run someone down if they beat you outta the hole...

:burnout:

Going to E-Town! The first time I went down I made a big mistake in filling the car with gas before I went down.:loser: The last thing you want is more weight. Your left leg is going to be shaking while you wait to take off. The low profile tires are going to break loose even with a burn out. You are going to want to slip that clutch a little to make sure the tires hook and not spin the whole way down the track:rockon: My friends and I would practice the whole way down to English Town at every single toll booth:lolsmack: We would come out of every single one as hard as we could to judge how much clutch throttle the tires could handle. It is going to be trial and error but if you can get some practice down on the GSP you will be better off.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian